Part Four: Shane

PART FOUR: SHANE

I think about her every second of every day. When I’m not thinking about her, it’s because I’m asleep, and when I’m asleep I’m dreaming about her. She’s always on my mind. She makes my life complete. My body sets on fire whenever I hear her name, and when she’s around me my internal temperature is so white-hot I begin to melt from the inside out.

I am in love with Samantha.

Samantha is everything.

When she told me she wanted to win Prom Queen, I did what I had to do to make sure that happened. Of course I wasn’t going to disappoint my angel.

She’s beautiful, you know? With her blonde tresses and big brown eyes. She smells of fresh linen and violets.

I’d do anything for her.

She found  me in the corridor the day before Prom. I was on my way to Math class, not really paying attention to my surroundings. Inside of my mind I was dreaming up my ideal outfit for her: a red dress, perhaps. She’d look gorgeous in one of those. What heels would she wear? Would she bother with jewellery?

And then, out of nowhere, a hand on my shoulder tugged me off balance. I fell to one side, almost knocking my head against the open door she was standing behind.

“We need to talk,” she said quickly, and then the door was closed after me. I found myself alone in a darkened classroom with my girl.

“Samantha.” I leaned in to kiss her on the lips, but she swerved to one side and I caught her cheek instead. “What’s the matter, sweetheart?”

She gave me one of her disapproving looks before straightening her blouse out and beginning with her proposition. “I need your help,” she said simply. Then, “You’ve got to help me hijack the votes tomorrow.”

“The Prom King and Queen poll?” I nodded my head. “Okay, sure.”

She looked out through the small window in the door, turning her nose up. “That preppy bitch Tiffany and her pain in the ass of a boyfriend are not going to upstage me tomorrow night.”

I stepped forwards and placed a hand on her shoulder. “I won’t let that happen, Samantha.” I smiled as she looked back at me. “I promise.”

She gave a distracted nod of her head and pulled her lipstick out of her bag. “So, you’ll meet me in here after they’ve collected the voting slips tomorrow night. Make sure you’ve got a supply of slips marked with mine and Hugo’s names. I’ll meet you at, say…ten o’clock? By that point everyone will be too drunk to realise I’m missing.” She popped the cap on her lipstick and pressed the red point to her lips.

I swallowed. “It’s a date.”

“Well, no. It’s not a date.” She rolled her eyes and I laughed. “But, yeah. Ten o’clock tomorrow night. I’ll meet you right here.”

“Can’t wait.” I squeezed her shoulder.

She finished applying her lipstick and stared at me for a long time in silence. I stared back at her. God, her eyes were so perfect…

“You know I’m dating Hugo, right?”

Oh. So she was in that sort of mood.

“I know.” I shrugged. “For now.”

She placed her lipstick back into her bag and nodded. “I’ve gotta get to class.”

I moved to open the door for her. Instead of stepping past me, though, Samantha swerved to one side and dipped her head forwards. My limbs failed on me as she pressed her mouth to the side of my neck, letting her hand brush against my crotch deliberately.