Chapter 30: Desire

🌴Matt🌴

I'm driving fast. I'm gripping the steering wheel and my bloody knuckles have turned into a pale hue of white.

Everything has just happened.

I've hurt the girl I've loved the most.

Why did I have to hurt Alyne? Why did I have to call her those names and yell at her?

And why did everything end so badly when I kissed her?

I guess it isn't like the movies.

Literally, 30 minutes ago, I was with Alyne in what I thought would be the best moment of my life.

But that didn't work out.

I'm angry, humiliated, and disappointed. It hurts too much. I can feel my heart shattering into pieces.

I just want to be happy.

I want to pick up my broken pieces: I want Alyne to pick up my broken pieces.

And as much as I wish it would, that isn't happening right now.

So, in a fit of rage, I'm clasping onto the wheel and driving to the place where I experienced one of my favorite moments in life.

It was a long time ago. Anna, Alyne, and I came on a field trip to downtown with our school; we were only in 7th grade.

We escaped our guide group when I pointed out a mysterious shape in the woods nearby.

We ran and discovered it was a spectacular tree house. It had a roof and battery powered lamps. It had a comfy rug, covered in leaves and dirt, but it was an amazing sight for the three of us.

It seemed abandoned, so we climbed up the tree branch ladder and claimed our territory.

We closed the "door" and stayed in the treehouse for hours. We played truth or dare and I was dared to hold Alyne's hand for the rest of the day, so I did.

We all told our secrets and stories and we bonded.

It doesn't seem like much, but we had an adventure. We escaped school together and enjoyed ourselves in a stupid, old tree house.

But, what made it one of the best days of my life was what we all gave each other. The physical symbols of our friendship.

I was planning on giving the girls a best friend ring each from me, so they would always know that I was there best friend. It seemed kind of "girly" to my other guy friends, but I didn't care. I wanted the rings to show the girls how much I cared for our friendship.

So, Anna reminded us about the story of how she fell off a house porch trying to avoid a creepy guy. Alyne and I wouldn't stop laughing.

That's when I decided to pull out the box; it held two silver rings, where the metal was shaped to form a heart.

I was still holding Alyne's hand, while I pulled out the rings. Anna and her both gasped when I slipped the shiny rings onto their fingers. They both smiled widely, and then they gave each other a mischievous look. Anna pulled out a brown, leather necklace for me. It had a grayish bead in the middle of it.

I couldn't believe it. I just gave them friendship rings and they popped out a necklace for me.

"Because we are best friends and will always love you," Alyne said.

I will always remember those words. Anna clipped the necklace on me and we swore to never take them off.

There have been very few occasions when the rings came off and when I had take my necklace off.