Ten

"What are we going to do?" Jungkook's eyes widened and I could feel my heart rate increase.

"I have to go," I said, "I have no choice,"

"What?!" He exclaimed so loudly that Tae jerked his head around to look at us, "Bee, you can't go out there!"

"I have to," I said, heading to the hallway to grab my keys, "I have no choice,"

"Wait, wait, wait," Jungkook said, "Seriously Bee, we can not go out there!"

"We?" I said, looking at him, "No. you're staying here. Tae, come!"

My huge boy immediately moved to my side as Jungkook's face changed from worry to terror.

"You're leaving me alone?!"

I rushed to the kitchen, grabbing my father's shotgun, "Do you know how to use this?"

"Of course I don't fucking know how to use it!" He cried, "I'm a realtor!"

"Just-" I was about to explain but changed my mind. If he was not experienced, he might end up shooting himself by mistake, "Just don't touch it," I leaned it up against the wall behind the door and turned to him.

"Listen, you are safe inside the house, but I need you," I said as calmly and quickly as possible, "I need you to open and close the gate so I'm not outside the fence. Can you do that? Can you wait for me and open the gate when I come back?"

After a brief second, Jungkook nodded. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

Tae immediately went on hyper alert. His ears were upright and his head was high as he surveyed the area. Carefully, I loaded him into the passenger seat of my truck and climbed next to him. It was going to be a squeeze with all three of us, but we had no choice.

I was watching for Tae's danger cues closely, and when I was confident that we were alone with no Lurkers nearby, I gave Jungkook the signal.

He yanked on the gate, pulling it inward (it opened inside so nobody had to go beyond the fence to close it) and I took off into the mist. I could just see Jungkook closing the gate again in my rear-view mirror and was glad when it was firmly closed.

My heart pounded as I drove down the road as fast as I could, just about making out a dim light as the gates appeared in the distance.

Through the mist, I saw something that almost made my heart stop entirely. There was someone stood at the base of the gate, with their arms up, ready to catch the other person who was climbing over onto my property.

"Shit!" I cried, terror filling my body as Tae began to growl, indicating that they weren't alone.

I did the only thing I could think of.

I slammed on the breaks and threw my door open.

"Go!" I yelled.

In one graceful bound, Tae leaped over my lap and thundered down the road at the two people.

Just as he reached them, I saw a flash of white. But this time, my dog wasn't too late. He barrelled into the Lurker before it reached the person stood at the gate, tearing into it with large snarls until it broke free and vanished into the trees. It happened so quickly, that I wasn't even sure that the people saw it.

I once again put my foot on the accelerator, driving to the pair as quickly and safely as I could. I threw open the passenger side door and yelled out my window, just as Tae lunged at another unseen Lurker with so much aggression that he was almost unrecognisable.

The person climbing down from the fence screamed at the sounds coming from the dog and let go of the fence, but the person underneath easily caught her.

"Get in!" I screamed at them, hoping that they would understand the urgency and do as they were told.

Luckily, they did, and rushed towards my truck, sliding into the seat with Tae at their rear.

"Tae, in!"

After one last snap, Tae jumped easily into the packed cab of the truck and whoever was closest to the door closed it.

Without even looking at who I had picked up, I turned the truck around and drove back towards my home.

Tae was growling out the window, which meant that we were being followed, so I sped up (despite knowing our speed wouldn't help us).

Jungkook was standing near the front door as we got closer, and just as I reached the gate, he swung it open without me even having to stop.

I cut the engine as I heard the gate click shut, and the passenger side door was yanked open again.

"Can we get inside?" Jungkook asked, a little out of breath, "Please, can we just go inside?!"