chapter 2 - silence

It had been three weeks since the incident with Pearl. Steven had slowly been getting used to having two extra arms, and could now, somewhat, control them independently from his actual arms. Which was…strange for everyone. But most of the time the arms just mimicked his actual arms. Pearl had also over those few weeks taken it upon herself to cut and line some holes into some of Steven's shirts to accommodate the additional arms. Other than that, nothing else had happened, thankfully. Well…there was one thing.

It was Garnet's turn to stay with Steven. He hadn't left his room for two full days except to get something to eat and/or drink or to use the bathroom. He's said as many words to Garnet as she had fingers. The silence was deafening. He didn't even want to go outside anymore. Typically, she'd take him with her down to the beach at least once during her shift, as he no longer liked going into town.

She couldn't stand it any longer. The next time Steven came out of his room she'd say something.

Several hours she sat on the couch by herself, waiting for Steven to show himself. Her arms were crossed and she was tapping her fingers impatiently, stressed beyond belief. Cat Steven was sitting in her lap, purring up a storm, which at least helped a little. And she didn't seem fazed by Steven's transformation, which certainly helped him too. Even Lion had distanced himself from Steven, so the little cat still cuddling up to the boy calmed his nerves a bit.

Garnet heard footsteps coming from Steven's room and looked over toward the stairs. She waited to see where he was going before standing up. He went to the fridge to grab something, and when he turned around he saw Garnet had blocked the stairs back to his room. She looked very determined to not let him through.

Steven glared at her for a few seconds before sitting at the counter to eat.

"Don't give me that look, Steven."

He scowled and looked down at his food.

"Steven. You need to get out of your room."

He said nothing.

"How about we go out? We don't have to go down to the beach this time. We could take the warp somewhere."

Steven put his food down, thinking. That was probably a good sign. After a few minutes however, he went back to eating. Garnet sighed.

"Stev-"

"Fine."

"…Where would you like to go?" Garnet asked next, deciding to leave the stairs and join Steven at the counter. He glanced up at her. He looked down. Garnet put her arms on the counter, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Please, Steven. I need you to talk to me."

"I don't want to talk," he stated, leaving the counter to put his plate in the sink. He looked to the stairs for a moment before returning to his stool.

"At least tell me where you want to go."

"I…I don't know. The…" Where did he want to go?

Nowhere. But Garnet wouldn't accept that answer.

"The flower field."

"You're allergic to the flowers there, Steven."

He groaned quietly. "Okay. How about we go to mom's fountain? The garden."