Franco

The girl keeps screaming, looking in the direction of her sister's corpse. I run towards the car with her in my arms. It's amazing how my hands got used to killing, they don't shake one bit. My convictions keep them firm.

I start the engine. Now we are on our way to the refugee. I look at her. She is very young. Too young. Not pretty though. I wish heavens can forgive me. I try to shush her with all care possible, but her tears keep on showering her cheeks. Poor thing. It's not her fault. I tell her she will get some fruit, actual fruit if she behaves. That trick worked with me a long time ago, the trick that got me into this work, the protectors of the future, The Pioneros. She asked me why I killed her sister. I'm so sad she got to see what I've done. It's for your own protection, I lie. She is probably one of the last girl unvaccinated. Those crazy bitches from Aquelarre are taking away the possibility to be mom from all the world. They killed pregnant women, and vaccinated girls so their ovules rot. It has been more than 15 years ago since they started. I gotta hide this girl until she learns how to protect herself. I will take her to the leader.

From the rear-view mirror I see 3 motorcycles following me very fast. Brace yourself, little girl, I say. She looks behind, and asks me what it's happening, she tells me she wants to go home. While I make up an excuse I try to lost the motorcycle riders. If the leader knows how uncaring I was while saving the girl, I will probably be punished.

She keeps screaming that she wants to go home, and right after that, the glass of her window is broken. I move the car so the rider falls and I succeed, but she grabs on the window and enters. Stupid Aquelarre and their showing off minions.

Stop the car, she orders with her honey like voice though her helmet. I obey. I know her. I pulled over, surrounded by the other two motorcycles.

We stay in the car in silence. I hear the soft breathing of the girl that tries her hardest to stay calm. She is kind of clever. It this how she breathes while she sleeps? It sounds so tender. I want to enjoy my last minutes of life. I see the eyes of the woman through her helmet. I think that I'm so sorry to put her in this situation. I heard the leather of her jacket move, and the sound of the gun getting ready right behind my head. Don't do it in front of her, I beg. They are looking at me, she answers, I'm sorry, she whispers. Be free, I say looking at the girl. Now she looks more beautiful than ever. I hope the sound of the shot didn't overpower my voice, when I looked at the little girl. Her eyes wide open. Her life full of hope. There is a long way to go, little one.