Yesenia Rojas

I barely made it. The sweet girl is still on my arms. I hear the last cough from the pig I just killed. We hide in an old nurse room and I stitch myself up, at least the wound I can reach. Celeste is drinking water and eating old candy from a machine. Last point and I'm done, although, I know this just stop the bleeding, it won't stop me from dying. While I'm making the knot, I sense her eyes on me. I cut the rest of the thin thread. I'm sorry she whispers. I smile at her. We all got you into this, I answer a little bit nervous since no one has saw me bleeding. Does it hurt? She asked and I assumed she was talking about my stitches. I explain her that it wasn't that bad, it's worst when you broke a bone. She denies with her head. She says she means if the menstruation hurts. I paralyzed. I was vaccinated at the age of 15, I don't remember what it feels like to bleed. So I'm honest with her, and tell her I don't remember. She nods. There is silence between us, I try my hardest not to cry out of pain.

I notice a hair brush on a shelf, along with other cosmetics. She girl jumps when I touch her hair, apparently she didn't hear me. I brush it as softly as I can, but the wind of the motorcycle did a great job creating impossible knots. Her hair on my hand feels really nice. I braid it. And Celeste looks beautiful. Her face uncovered showing her cute freckles on her forehead, nose and on her chubby cheeks. With the same thread I used to stitch my wound I secure the braid. Does it hurt to give birth? She asks. I swallow hard. I'm honest and I tell her that I only know how much hurts not to be mom. I feel nauseous and I fell back. Celeste comes near me and tries to help me, she begs me to stay awake and there is nothing more that I want to do than keep my eyes open. Because I know I can protect her. Hug me, I ask her, and as a little cub under the bear, she stays by my side and hugs me. She cares my face with her tender hands. With my last strength I pray she'll be fine. She falls asleep on me. It's night time. The hospital has never been warmer for me.

The door opens. A man enters. He looks elegant. He looks at me as if I didn't exist. Are you from Aquelarre? I asked. He says no. Are you part of the pioneers then? He says no. On the contrary of his deep voice, he takes Celeste with care and tenderness. She'll be okay he tells me, my master will give her the tools she need to achieve her destiny, the new mother. I look strangely at him. You can't force her, I say, it's her choice. It's her duty, he answers. And leaves with the girl heavily sleeping on his strong shoulder. All my last strength I used it to stay awake and enjoy the cute sight of her sleeping. I spent it imagining how it would have been to called her my own daughter. I pictured her in my nonexistent womb. I can't protect her now, I feel bad for that, but, for this time I'll just pretend a little bit, as I close my eyes. There goes my husband with my little girl Celeste in his arms. She is a nice girl. We took a shower, we laugh. She is sleeping heavily. We play too much, even I am tired. Tomorrow we will study the ABC, then, we will go to ballet practice. I can't wait.