Chapter Two

The sun blazed on the newly grown leaves. Light beamed into the warriors den. It was a moon after Falconfury and Frostfur had their conversation, and they had agreed on finding clues to why Blackstripe had done what he did that night. The memories of her mothers bloody eye flooded into Frostfur's mind. She shuddered, and padded from the den. 

She grabbed some fresh kill, and heard the cruel deputy yowl, "Nettlefoot, Whiteface, Bluefur," he paused, and added suspiciously, "and Frostfur.. take a patrol out. Bluefur, lead it." After gulping up the vole Frostfur had grabbed, she padded over to Bluefur and Whiteface. "First patrol as a warrior, huh?" mewed the voice of Nettlefoot stalking toward the three cats. Blackstripe, who was just below High Rock, stared at Frostfur in a suspicious way.

"Yup. Let's get a move on." The new leaf trees were growing strong through the forest, with lots of new prey to eat. Bluefur quickened her pace, and paused near a giant oak tree. She sniffed, and so did the others. Frostfur couldn't smell anything, so she opened her mouth to let it go down her throat. Nothings there, she thought. "Windclan scent," Bluefur announced. Frostfur pretended that she could smell the warriors scent. "We will report that to Gingerstar." Whiteface mewed, and they continued down the borders. Embarrassed of her last flaw, Frostfur still trotted on like nothing had happened. 

By the end of the patrol, they had found two Windclan warrior scents from the same cat. Nettlefoot and Whiteface had reported it to Gingerstar, who leaped onto the High Rock. 

Cats gathered, even though Gingerstar had not called the usual orders. Frostfur stalked to the crowd. Brambleclaw, Flowerface, and the apprentices joined, too. Every cat was there. What was so urgent, that every Tom and she cat knew to come, without even Gingerstar's callings? Frostfur took her place at the edge of the crowd next to Daypaw and Honeythorn.

"Cats of Thunderclan, I think you know why you're here. Several Windclan scents have been found. Every patrol got a whiff of it." She announced calmly. Not a single cat gasped or showed surprise. Gingerstar's face then turned serious. "Flowerface has said she saw a warrior in the middle of the night and went to attack, but the cat left her one eye blind." Shadowpaw and Daypaw stared at each other in disbelief. What treacherous cat could have made Flowerface partly blind? Blackstripe. That's who. Frostfur couldn't help staring at the black deputy as he licked his paws.

She watched as Flowerface stood miserably in front of the warriors den. "And why do we believe Flowerface?" asked Wormface from the elders den. Wormface had a past with Flowerface, he had loved her and had kits, Frostkit and Rosekit, but treachery fell through the clan, and Rosekit had died. Their love faded for each other, and that liking turned into hatred. They were sworn enemies now, with their past behind them.

Flowerface turned and snarled at him, and stalked farther from the elders den, and right into the crowd. "I trust my warriors, and Flowerface has always been loyal to me, rather more than you, Wormface." Gingerstar meowed, and took control over the chattering of agreements and disagreements of Wormface's yowl. He looked taken aback, but he continued listening to his leader. 

"Double the patrols, Blackstripe. We don't know what could be out there." the ginger-colored she cat mewed. He ordered the evening patrols, and set off to the warriors den. Giving a quick tail flick to Falconfury, she sat down and looked around nervously. "Falconfury. . . I. I'm worried. What are we going to do, I mean, what does Blackstripe even want?" said Frostfur. The brown warrior seemed to take a moon to respond. Finally, he meowed, "I don't know, but Flowerface said special mixture while she was talking to Blackstripe, that could help us a bit," 

"Perfect!" The white she cat paced. "Why would he need a mixture? Unless he has some condition, I don't think he'd need anything," Frostfur padded to the warriors den to inspect Blackstripe. "He doesn't look like he's hurt or anything. He looks more energetic than a newly opened-eyed kit!" Falconfury mewed. "Well there's got to be a reason!" Frostfur then decided what they should do. 

"Let's go on a quick hunt and we can think about it there."