FOUR: Watching and Wondering

Two figures entered a homey inn. One of them was clad in snowy white robes embellished with cerulean designs, topped by a jade pendant hanging at his hip. He had an icy air about him, the kind that screamed 'untouchable,' and the sword so tightly clenched within his fist only added to the air. The other donned obsidian robes that shone like raven feathers, along with a few highlights of crimson fabric found by his chest, waist, and in a ribbon that wrapped around his half-up, half-down ponytail. Inside of his fingers was an ebony flute that glimmered, a small red tassel dangling at its glossy end.

    "So what do you think, Lan Zhan?" the latter asked with a wave of his hand.

    Lan Zhan took in his surroundings and nodded. "I like it. It's suitable."

    "Such an answer has to be expected from the Hanguang-Jun himself," Wei Wuxian chuckled.

    "What is that supposed to mean?"

    "Ah, you know. A man like you is used to the luxury of Cloud Recesses and the best suites in whatever town. This room isn't nearly as grand," Wei Wuxian said. Having noticed the slight furrow on Lan Wangji's face, he decided to quickly amend his words. "It's okay, Lan Zhan, that's just what you've grown up with. You don't need to feel weird about it." I quite enjoy teasing you about your riches anyway, Wuxian thought, remembering that he still had Wangji's money pouch tucked away into his robes.

Nevertheless, the other man didn't look quite convinced. It wasn't the first time that someone had brought up Lan Wangji's fortune. People in the past had always tried to get close to him in the hopes of taking advantage of the money that the Lan Clan of Gusu contained. However, ever since Cloud Recesses had been burnt down and rebuilt, their fortune had taken a huge hit, so people knew to never bring up the Lan clan's financial status again.

People except for the Yiling Patriarch, that is.

"I'm sorry, Wei Ying. I know that you have had times in your life where you were forced to build everything out of nothing. I don't mean to show off my wealth or offend you in any way." Wangji clasped his hands together and bowed deeply. How inconsiderate can you be? he scolded himself, Your reckless paying habits make Wei Ying feel as if he is inadequate.

Wei Wuxian's eyes widened in horror as he watched Wangji. "Lan Zhan, what are you doing? Please don't feel guilty. You don't need to apologize to me." He reached over and cupped Lan Wangji's hands with his own to raise him back up into a standing position. "Besides, I like a man who is both humble and rich. It's alright."

At that, Lan Zhan couldn't help but crack a slight smile. His gaze softened as he gently squeezed Wei Ying's fingers before letting his arms fall back to their sides, "Only if you say so."

Wei Wuxian quickly glanced at his hands before folding them behind his back. "I do. Now, which bed do you want? Right or left?"

"Left," Lan Wangji said, walking towards said mattress to claim it. He gently placed Bichen on a quaint table next to the bed and sat down, his sharp eyes now smooth around the edges from sleepiness.

"It can't be nine o'clock already," Wuxian teased as he plopped down onto the other mattress, his body sprawled out across the white sheets like a starfish. "We just finished eating dinner and I didn't even have that much wine. How can you be satisfied with such a boring night, Lan Zhan?"

"Today was successful. We deduced that what is haunting this town must be a victim of the Moonwolf curse. Tomorrow we will wake up and see if the woman we met was telling the truth about the animals being drained of their blood." Wangji turned to face Wuxian, the mattress creaking beneath the shift of his weight. "Wei Ying?"