Pilot

"Courage. The word has more than one meaning. It can be the ability to do something you are afraid of. It can be having strength in the face of pain. It can be pursuing something you believe in your heart despite the disapproval from others. I admire the courageous warriors who fought for our kingdom, but I admire the courageous children so much more. Whether they are the offspring of these gallant heroes or the progenies of the weak, they have all faced dangers and tribulations. Some have survived the King's dark reign, and some have met their early doom. Nevertheless, they showed great determination and bravery. They should be recognized not as victims, but as heroes. This war should have never occurred, but something good did come out of it. Unity between the two kingdoms, and a new appreciation for our children. They deserve better. They had to grow up too quickly. Let this war be a lesson that we will never have to learn again. We must do everything in our power to ensure that history does not repeat itself. We must spare our children from another war. Under my rule, the two kingdoms shall become one and will be at peace for as long as I am alive. Let it be so."

12 years ago

As I eased into the searing heat of the water, I felt my tight muscles loosen. I closed my eyes gently and fully submerged my face under the water. The distorted sounds of life above the surface made it's way to my ears. There was nothing but darkness behind my eyelids, so I decided to invade my own mind. There, I would be able to picture anything I could imagine.

My mind is like a time machine. It can take me to the past, and it can show me what the future may hold. My mind can take me anywhere in the world, and it can show me anything. All I have to do is use my imagination, and then I can see it all. I love visiting my mind. I can picture myself leaving this place and being happy. I can be anybody, and I can do anything. Maybe someday, I can be the girl that I see in my mind.

———

My mother's feet echoed in the hallway. I slipped under the covers and feigned sleep. She cracked the door just enough for a slither of her candle's orange glow to illuminate the room. After a few seconds passed, darkness encompassed the room once more. I waited a while to get out of bed, once I was sure everyone in the cottage was asleep. I slid off of the steely hard mattress and quickly clothed myself.

I attempted to open the wooden window without a sound but failed to do so. Just like the floor boards, the window creaked and croaked. Landing on my feet just a little more gracefully than the night before, which was far from graceful, I ran off into the night.

After walking on dark roads for what seemed like hours, I began to see light up ahead. Once I reached it, I was awed at the beauty of the town. Shops were lit with lanterns, and entertainment was plentiful in the cobblestone streets. Beautiful women dressed in various colored silks were dancing to the music, which was as beautiful as they were. Men with wide ranges of clothing wore hats to match. They played string instruments and flutes. Some of them pounded drums, and some of them danced along with the women. Although the town was just as festive during the day, nighttime seemed to be more jubilant. I enjoyed it much more because the lights and colors brightened up the place. The town was just more glamorous at night.

When I come into town, it's strictly for work. No peasant girl like me has time for such luxuries as waltzing through the streets. I was very fortunate to have acquired a job. A horrible older lady, who is very much rude, pays me 10 pieces to sell her yields. After selling every crop, I use the scant amount of pieces to purchase bread for my family. If anything is left over, I get scolded and slapped around. Sometimes I take the crops that were still left. That way I could avoid the Old Lady's tirade, and I could bring more food back home. One time, the Old Lady caught me stealing and smashed a rock on my hands. I made sure to never get caught again.