Journey

Suddenly, we heard voices up ahead. We silently hid behind a large tree. Up ahead was Darren, father, and a group of others around my age. John went to back away but stepped on a twig. The twig snapped, and the sound echoed throughout the woods. Uh oh...

———

We got down as the group of people looked our way. Father began to walk towards us. We needed to do something quick. John tapped my shoulder. I turned to him, and he handed me a rock. I took it and grinned. I threw it as far as I could away from us. Everyone snapped their heads towards where the rock landed. I was beginning to think father would leave, but he didn't. He didn't move. He looked back in our direction.

"Come out! I know where you're hiding! Don't make me come and get you!" He called.

There was a long pause as John and I stared at each other. He nodded his head and took my hand. We both stood up slowly and met my father's gaze.

"Well, look who it is. Dianne, what are you doing out here?" His voice was laced with amusement. I looked to John, silently asking him what to do.

"What's going on?" He asked. Father turned his attention to him.

"Who are you?" Father's eyes found our joined hands. I attempted to remove my hand, but John did not release his hold.

"The name's John. What are you guys doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"We came looking for Darren" I said. Soon after, Darren emerged from the crowd.

"Why were you looking for me?"

"Everyone back at the town is dead. We wanted to make sure you weren't."

"Well... you found me, and I am not dead. Now what?"

"We came to take you with us. We're leaving Kilf'rt. It's too dangerous for us here" I told him.

"That's why we're here. We're all planning on escaping as well."

"Really? Then why is father here?"

"He helped to keep us hidden from those soldiers." I turned to look at father.

"I heard you and the guard talking. What was that about?" His face turned red and serious. The others looked to him, confused. Darren looked annoyed by what I said. Did he know?

"What is she talking about?" One of the boys in the group asked.

"Father was simply trying to deter them away from us."

"How would you know? You weren't there" John replied.

"How is any of this your business?" Darren gritted through his clenched teeth.

"I'm just making sure the man who was thanked for helping the guards, isn't leading you all into another trap" John spat. Gasps and murmurs sounded from the group.

"You're lying" Darren defended.

"I know it's hard to believe, but I-"

"How dare you accuse me, your own father, of betraying the town?"

"Cut the crap! I just want an explanation. Why did you help them?"

"It didn't help them."

"Stop. Lying." I growled. "Why?!" I became hot with anger. "Do you feel no remorse? No regret? Was it for money? Protection?" Father took menacing steps towards me. John protectively put me behind him.

"If you're leaving, then I guess it wouldn't be a problem to go with all of you" John said. "That is, if you are truly helping everyone."

"Why should we let you?" Darren shouted. "You're a couple of liars!"