Caroline

"We have traveled for days. Many of our friends were murdered by our deranged king. I am tired, hungry, and smelly. I want to know exactly what is going on in this town, and you will not dismiss me. You will do as I say or face me and the rest of us." My voice never wavered, and my eyes never left hers.

———

Her mouth fell open at my bluntness, and I barged right inside as if I owned the place. I looked back to see her and John staring at me with wide eyes. After a few seconds, John followed. I took a look around the terrible woman's home. It was just as pleasant as she was. The wood was worn down, and the interior was bare.

"We will need a change of clothes", I announced. The woman said nothing as she disappeared into a room.

"What was that about?" John asked in a low whisper. I ignored his question.

"Reveal as little as possible about us and the group. I'm bathing first. Just watch her closely in case she tries something." He looked at me like I had grown another head. Before he could say another word, the woman returned.

"I've set the bath and left the clothes in the wash room." Her arms were folded, and she avoided my gaze. There was something strange about her and this place, but I simply nodded my head.

"We will need something to eat. Nothing much, just a small meal. Then we'll talk." She finally looked at me, but I couldn't read her. She no longer looked appalled or angry. This woman was certainly weird, but I pushed my thoughts about her aside and walked into the wash room.

Steam rose out of the bath, clearly indicating the heat. I began to peel my sweaty, dirty clothes off of my body. I dipped my toe into the water, then eased my way in the tub. Once my skin adjusted to the temperature, I felt completely relaxed. I sat there for a few minutes before letting the water engulf me entirely. The only thing I could hear was the water itself, whenever I would move. I willed my mind to become empty so that I could ponder over everything.

What would I do after meeting up with the group? What would we do? Hopefully after talking with the woman, I would have some sort of an idea. I still wasn't sure if we were safe from King Axel. If we were, then the only thing we needed to do was figure out how to start our new lives. But first, I needed to know more about this place. I needed to know what it was about this town that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand. With that in mind, I lifted my head from underneath the water and thoroughly washed my body.

———

The woman's name was Caroline, and her cooking was amazing. I wasn't sure if it was the hunger talking, but this was the best I've felt since I left Kilfr't. She served us bread, ham, and mashed potatoes. Only the working class could afford meat, so that led me to my first question.

"What do you you do for work?" As I continued to eat, she sighed heavily.

"My husband hunts for the town." I paused and looked her in the eyes.

"You do not appear to be a family woman", I stated.

"I am not. I just needed someone to support me."

"Well, I have met your husband." I didn't want to reveal too much, but I was now curious.

"Oh really? You met him in the woods?" She raised an eyebrow and shifted in her seat.

"Yes. We encountered seven men who say they were hunting." I felt a change in the atmosphere. Caroline seemed like a fearless woman, so her uneasiness made me uncomfortable.

"Are you afraid of him?" Her eyes turned cold at my words. She slammed her hands on the table and stood up abruptly.

"No!" I put my fork down and crossed my arms, eyeing her skeptically.