Nightmare

The ground was cold beneath my bare feet as I walked down the dark cobblestone road. The rain had stopped some time ago but the smell of moisture hung thick in the air as fog blanketed the night making it hard to see. The glow of the street lanterns was dimmed, the orange flames struggling to stay alight. Passing cottages on either side of me, their windows dark, empty and devoid of life.

I had no idea where I was or how I came to be in this place. Looking down at the torn rags that hung loose on my body I saw the dark stains sprayed across the fabric and my arms. Upon closer inspection I realized it was blood, but I had no injuries, no pain to indicate it was my own. I watched as it slowly slid down my arms, leaving a trail cold on my flesh behind each drop.
Dread filled my gut when I saw my reflection on the surface of a nearby puddle, distorted and abstract my skin stretch taught and bloody.

A deep voice filled the night, rumbling through my bones like an earthquake. Whipping around, my eyes wide, I saw no one. Nothing was there. Not a soul in sight but the laughter echoed in my mind.

“Carly, how nice of you to join us. We have sorely missed you,” the voice greeted me.

Fear gripped me and I turned on my heel, running as if the devil himself were after me. Maybe he was, I was lost in this nightmarish place with no clue how any of this had come to be.

The world shook and I stumbled in my flight but kept pushing myself forward. I didn’t know where I was going just that I needed to get away. The ground began to crack and groan, violently shifting ahead of me. Out of the earth came the head of a beast, eyes like fire and the nose of a bear. Giant fangs, some larger than I, dripped with blood and saliva as the mouth opened and a snake like tongue shot towards me.

My mouth opened to scream but no sound came out as the beast wrapped its tongue out my throat and yanked me forward. I clawed and gagged, fear gripping every inch of me down to my soul. It released me into the darkness of its throat and I fell into a silent black abyss.

“Welcome home, daughter.” The voice rumbled again as I was consumed.

I sat bolt upright in bed, my heart pounding. I looked around and sighed. I was in my room, wrapped in my flower printed blanket surrounded by my own baby pink walls. It was just a dream.

************************************
A/N: I wrote this as an entry for the #48 prompt of the Paranormal Prompt Contest.

I ended up being 1 of 3 winners in that one. My second ever Wattpad win but definitely my longest winning entry to date.

My first win can be seen in my story "HELLO MY DARK" on my profile. Feel free to check it out.

Vote and comment❣

Love to know what you think❣

Thanks for reading❣

Love you guys❣

~SM~