six: contact

Yawning, Valerie flicks a ball of paper across the room toward Grayson. She wasn't tired, couldn't be, but she sure was bored. Grayson flicks it back at her, accidentally sending it out into the hallway. She goes to grab it, but before she can, one of the nurses notice.

"How'd this get here?" She laughs. She'd seen it skid right out of the door. Looking inside, the room was empty. "Strange..."

"Why doesn't anyone around here ever find things moving on their own weird? What's the point of being like ghosts if we can't haunt anyone?" Valerie groans, crossing her arms. "It's just no fun."

"There's gotta be someone who believes in ghosts around here. Maybe we can scare some kids," he grins, standing to his feet.

The two have resorted to messing with employees and patients these days. There was, quite literally, nothing else for them to do other than sit around and talk. They'd never been so bored in their lives.

Yet they couldn't really call this their lives, either. They weren't living, their bodies hadn't moved once.

"So, where's your room anyway?" Valerie asks as they walk down the hall. "I assumed you'd be somewhere near me and the others, but I've looked and haven't found you."

Grayson sighs, slowing his walking pace. "Yeah, I'm in another wing around the corner. A little more privacy there."

He hasn't yet shown her his real, comatose body. It felt... weird for him, and frankly he liked to avoid it as much as possible too. But it seemed oddly intimate in a way he wasn't sure he was comfortable with.

Ethan had requested his room be a little more private to avoid fans showing up. Only family was allowed to visit, but some had already tried sneaking around to find him. It was disheartening, but no one was able to actually get into his room.

"Why, you wanna see it?" Grayson asks, stopping in place. "It's not too far."

Knowing her now, he felt mostly okay with bringing her there. It was still intimate, and hard to come to terms with, but it was only fair considering he's been in her room multiple times now. Grayson trusts Valerie enough to bring her.

So nodding, she follows him through the winding corridors and toward his hospital room. He takes in a deep breath when they enter.

"You look like shit."

"Thank you," he snorts, already feeling better about this. His body is still bruised in places, still has tubes in him, same as hers. "I'm glad I can't feel all that."

"Yeah, it looks painful. It's really weird to see though." While Valerie is talking, Ethan walks in the room. "...he looks familiar."

Grayson raises an eyebrow, "We are twins, dollface."

She doesn't push the subject, but she continues watching as he approaches Grayson's bedside. He looked distraught.

Grayson looks away, frowning. He hates when Ethan comes to visit, because it's never good. It's upsetting to see his brother try and plead with him to wake up. He prefers to leave the room if possible.

"Grayson, it's been almost a month," he whispers. His hair is tucked into a beanie, his eye bags are darker than usual, and he just looks sad. "They thought you'd wake up by now. I can't lose you, asshole, so if you can hear me I need you to push through this."

The doctors all assumed Grayson, and the same for Valerie, would've woken up sooner. The two of them had decent vitals, seemed to be healing on track--there was nothing else that could be done.

If they woke up, they would need more recovery, some therapy, but nothing major. But they hadn't woken up. They were sitting back, in comas for whatever reason. Grayson thought the reapers were just messing with them at this point.