♱ Chapter 52 ♱

𝓟𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓻
𝟻𝟸: 𝙴𝚡𝚙𝚘𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙽𝙰𝙼𝙴𝙻𝙴𝚂𝚂

Logic completed eluded me.

Fixated on the message I had received from NAMELESS mere moments ago, my body was paralysed. My pulse drummed deafeningly in my ears and my heart seemed to skip beats and evoking constant painful jolts in my chest. What the fuck was I supposed to do now?

Ire rocketed through my bloodstream and I slammed my phone down onto the passenger seat. It bounced on the leather seat multiple times before settling, screen facing upwards. I had to think about this. I had to strategize something.

Adelaide wouldn't be at home. With everything recently, I figured her parents would still be drowning in treacherous waters and she wouldn't want to surround herself with that type of negativity. The only other place she could potentially be located in would be Bridget's dorm room and be with her best friend. I had no fucking idea where Bridget resided on campus, but if I'd been playing dirty all this time, I figured I could continue my streak.

Scooping my phone, I hastily found Charlie's number and called him. Rain continued to unleash itself, smacking against my windscreen and blurring the rest of the parking lot for me. I almost didn't hear the ringing against the rain, only realising the call was successful upon hearing his voice.

"What's up, man?" Charlie asked as cool and collected as ever.

"Are you in your dorm room?" I rushed out. My hand gripping my phone and my knuckles began to whine in protest at the vice-like hold I had on it.

"I can be in the next few minutes." Clearly he sensed the urgency of my imminent request and I was merciful he wasn't halfway across Grovesville and away from his technology. "What do you need?"

"I need you to hack into the campus systems and find out where Bridget... lives. Fuck, I don't know her surname." My face contorted with sheer indignation at myself. Why did I never query what Bridget's surname was? "I know what she looks like though. Search every Bridget. They'll have her photograph in her file. She's got dark hair that ends just above her shoulders and dark brown eyes. There's also a beauty spot on her cheek. Is that enough to go on?"

Charlie took a few moments to respond. "That should be enough, dude. I'm in my dorm room now and firing up my laptop. I don't know how long it'll take, but I know college security isn't too secure."

"I'm back at my apartment so I need to drive back to college. Is that long enough?"

"Should be. I'll text you her room number when I'm in, man." He paused. "Is this serious?"

A sigh escaped me. "Yes. And as soon as this shit's dealt with, I'll tell you what's up, okay?"

"Okay."

"Thanks, man."

Charlie hung up swiftly and I knew his laptop must have been ready for him to use.

Slipping my phone back into my pocket, I fired up the engine and gunned it out of the parking lot, unbothered by the smattering of loose gravel in my wheel arches. My wiper blades worked vehemently, but every time I accelerated only fractionally, my foot was pressing against the brake. The rain was too furious for me to exceed the speed limit, despite how twitchy my limbs were becoming. The drive had never seemed so torturously long until this evening. It was becoming way too dark too quickly and driving in the dark would mean a further decrease in speed too.

Finally arriving at college, I parked haphazardly and sprinted into the main building so I could navigate through to the residential blocks. Students who resided on campus could park closer to their blocks as they are provided with a special swipe card to activate and raise a barrier on a particular parking lot while everyone else had to park on the main parking lot at the front of the vicinity.