2 •hopeless homosexual

Recap:
"Xander?"

I jolted back to reality, abandoning my thoughts.
"Yeah?"

Jae licked his lips nervously and was clearly biting his lip.
"Can I tell you something?"

———

I thoughtfully studied Jae. "Yeah, of course."

"Xander.. I-" Jae sighed. "I think..."

"Yeah?" I prompted him gently, like an indirect reminder that I'll listen to whatever he has to say.

"Xander, I'm gay."

My heart stopped. I just subconsciously ran my fingers through my hair and looked him in the eyes. "That's ok, Jae. I accept you."

Now that I really think about it, and think back to things, Jae hasn't been acting the straightest the past year or two. How was I so oblivious? He's probably been struggling with this secret for a while.

Jae relaxed, feeling less tense. "Thank you. I love you, okay?" He murmured.

"I love you too." I reassured him, sliding my hand over to his knee. He looked at my hand for a moment and slowly placed his on top of mine and started gently stroking it with his thumb. Jae knew as much as I did that if anyone at school found out he was gay, he'd be bullied. Our school wasn't the safest for LGBT members.

"You don't mean it like I do." Jae stated. Little did Jae know, he was wrong. Very wrong.  I raised my unoccupied hand to his face, cupping his cheek. Jae melted into my touch, blinking fondly at me.

"Jae."

"Yeah?"

"Do I seriously look straight to you? I'm a hopeless homosexual, Jae.."

Jae chuckled at that. "Well, you do pretty well to hide it. Let's be honest, this isn't how best friends act."
I nodded in agreement, pulling my hand away from his cheek. He was right. Best friends don't act like this to each other. Not usually guy friends at least. I don't really do well at hiding my sexuality though; I knew Jae was just saying that to make me feel a bit better.
Jae yawned and flopped down beside me, laying down with his hands behind his head.

"Well, I'm gonna get dressed. Sit up and turn around." I announced, already heading over to my closet. Jae sat up, but with no intent of turning around.
After a few moments, I picked out an oversized pastel blue sweatshirt and light blue jeans. I scowled, seeing that Jae was facing me with his famous smirk. I just sighed and rolled my eyes, deciding not to care anymore.
I stripped until I was in my boxers and rushed to get my clothes on so I didn't have to feel so vulnerable in front of Jae for long.
"Cmon, get your shirt on. We're going for a walk."

Jae groaned but obliged, grabbing his sweatshirt from the foot of my bed and putting it on. Jae got off the bed to stand with me.
"Cmon then." Jae prompted. He stood beside me and picked up my hand into his, as if it was casual or something he did every day. I smiled to myself as we walked out of my bedroom together, heading down the stairs. Nobody was home. As usual, I mentally scoffed. My parents were never home. Jae and I walked out the door and the crisp air hit us.
"Shouldn't we bring Artemis?" Jae said suddenly, halting once we were halfway down my walkway that lead to my driveway.

"Yeah, I guess. He hasn't went for a walk in a couple days, so it'll be good for him to stretch his legs." I stifled a sigh in agreement. Artemis was our family dog; a blue merle cardigan corgi to be exact. I mostly took care of him since I'm home alone quite often. I jogged back to the house and entered, grabbing Artemis' leash and calling out to him. He was in his bed near the fireplace and came bolting at my call.
"Hello, my good boy." I greeted, bending down for a second to scratch his head. I gently hooked the leash onto his collar and lead him out the door. He trotted towards Jae, who was standing with his hands stuffed into his pockets. Jae glanced down at Artemis and smiled. Jae held my unoccupied hand again as we walked down my driveway and turned to the corner. We lived in a slightly secluded neighbourhood, so there was a lot of trees and nature in general.
On our walk, we passed a few people, some giving us odd looks and others giving us friendly looks. There was a little trail encircling a mini pond. It was a beautiful trail in the spring and summer, but lacked those beauties at this time of the year. We walked a couple laps, talking about random things like GLEE and our favourite song artists like Billie Eilish and Harry Styles. We lost track of the time rather quickly until Jae pulled out his phone from his pants pocket and told me that it was 11:12.a.m.

———

Exhausted, yet refreshed, from our walk, we crashed onto my bed, Artemis jumping up with us. We were laying on our backs, staring up at the ceiling while Jae had his hands tucked behind his head. Artemis clambered onto us, walking small, tight circles until he flopped down, curled up. I reached down to pet him.
"Has today treated you well?" Jae questioned, his voice drained. I did nothing but nod.
"I'll go home now. You look tired. I'll see you on Monday."

"I don't want you to go, but fine," I grumbled. Jae sat up, disturbing Artemis who was peacefully half-asleep on him. Jae got off my bed slowly.
I sat up, facing Jae. I pulled Artemis up to my chest, hugging him. Jae smiled and came over to give me a final hug until Monday. It was short but comfy.

"Bye for now." Jae spoke sweetly, exiting my room and shutting the door behind him.
After a few moments, I squeezed Artemis, softly placing my face on his fur.

I cried.

A/N: sorry this was a short chapter. Next chapter will be longer, I promise!