six | MARS needs her more than she realizes

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

PARK SEONGHWA IS AN OBLIVIOUS babe magnet.

     It is 4pm, the evening. I understand it is too early to be kidding myself when I tell Bae that Smooch needs a new leash so I'm going to walk in that direction. The same direction that led Seonghwa a moment prior towards a boba shop. He's about pulling the push of the glass doors and realising he's supposed to push the push, when a redhead stops beside him, reminds me of Sue Mei. She's short, close enough to violate personal space and she's a smiler. But it makes her ugly, no beef. It's not up to a second—six seconds—of Seonghwa being polite enough to nod in greeting whilst pushing the door, that someone beats him to it, pulling from inside. Another female human. She's a less gorgeous one, a fake blonde, and she looks partly Korean. It is not my business to care about her race, just that it aggravates me when Seonghwa smiles at her, too. He steps aside to let her out and she dodders her head in decline. Blondie stays inside, Seonghwa lets red enter before him. He enters last.

     I realise at this moment that Seonghwa's chivalry is bullshit if he's not showing it to me.

     'I wouldn't mind a cup of boba.' Bae yanks me out of my thoughts. Was this how Seonghwa would court Sue Mei occasionally? 'Grant me the company? I promise to tag along for dog food hunting.'

     'Dog leash hunting.'

     'Of course.' Yes, she does not believe me.

     It's times like these it comes naturally to be grateful for people like Bae in my life. She reads my conflicts very easily, offers suggestions that wouldn't need me voicing out what I truly want, saves me embarrassment, because I am a proud woman. Arrogantly proud, sometimes for my own good. I haven't had bubble tea in forever and I don't think now is the time to rekindle old passion when nausea is lurking. We head for the shop.

     So, the family—I forget sometimes that we aren't a Mafia cult—decides on cooperate outing. San brings up a suggestion and all it takes is Wooyoungie's, "I think that's a darn good idea," followed by Yunho's, "sounds very together-y, so why the hell not?" and topped off with Mingi's absentmindedness on the situation that he mouths a, "sure, sure, whatever" to see a convoy of, give or take, eight cars chasing each other down asphalted paths to see who reaches the mall first. Everyone wanted to be the driver. I was pushed everywhichway in Yunho's driveway that I somehow, unconsciously and caught unawares, found myself sitting beside Seonghwa on the passenger's seat of his car (who am I? Where am I? Wink, wink).

     Riding shotgun was nostalgic. We arrived at the mall and Bae is dragging me by the arm away from he who I wished to be with. I think: Bad timing, bitch and don't complain outrightly. She could've been with Poppy Cho, except the aforementioned also has her eyes set on a certain someone with apple crushing hands. She has a thing for apple-crushers, ever since she found out Jongho was an apple-crusher. People and their kinky eccentricities.

     'Seen him?'

     'Seen who?' You know when it's wrong to act zonked? When your reasons for taking action is as obvious as your existence.

     Bae rolls her eyes. 'Really, Choi?'

     I blush. 'I had to at least try.' My voice is almost whiney and I pout. It isn't cute and based off of Bae's grimace, she's seen me once: in a nightmare.

     'Oh, there he is.'

     'Where?'

      'Don't look, he's coming this way.' Bae pulls me towards the counter, rebuking the idea of scanning the area for my ... for my ... for Seonghwa. I mentally tell her to order whatever for me and stand a good distance behind her.