Iceland

The rest of Christmas day felt like a dream. I felt like I was in a movie, living Christmas day the way I had always wanted to; with family, surrounded by love, with so much happiness and joy in the air. I would never be able to thank Oli's family enough for how included and loved they made me feel, and of course, I would never be able to thank Oli for choosing me to be a part of his world. I loved him beyond words, but everything that came as part of him made me love him more. His friends were amazing too, every single one of them sent me beautiful thank you messages for the gifts I'd sent to them. I loved doing it to be honest, showering people in gifts was definitely an expression of my love. Tom also raved about the gifts I'd given him, as did his parents. Honestly, it all just made me feel happy and wholesome. It was the best Christmas I'd had since I was a little girl without question.

When we got home that afternoon, I pulled out my suitcase and stared at it laying empty on the bed. When I'd unpacked less than a week ago, I really didn't think I'd have to see it for weeks, but here I was, packing again. I could hardly complain though because this was a holiday - no work what so ever, no commitments or events, just me and Oli and the beautiful scenery of Iceland that I'd always wanted to see in real life.

We landed in Reykjavik at 4pm on Boxing day after a short, three hour flight and I felt as though I'd gone to another planet. The air smelt sulphuric and even the scenery into the city looked like nothing I'd ever seen before. Oli had splurged and booked us into the only five-star hotel, right on the water and right next to the beautiful Harpa concert hall. Our room looked over the marina so with any luck, we'd catch the Northern lights during our stay, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. It was Winter, so it was already dark when we landed, with only around 5 hours of light during the day, but something about that was appealing to me and just made it feel even more incredible. On our first night, we walked up the main street, filled with Christmas decorations, vendors selling freshly, fire-roasted snacks and huge amounts of street art, visible only because of the lamps lining the sidewalk. It was cold and windy, but walking along hand-in-hand with Oli felt romantic and I actually loved every second of it. We made love that night, the shimmer of the water outside the window visible, but as yet, no sign of the Northern lights.

We spent the next two days exploring the city, though we did venture out to the Blue Lagoon; a geothermal lagoon that was warm like a spa, despite the air outside being at or below zero. Oli and I went completely un-noticed there and honestly, it was incredibly relaxing and romantic smothering each other in the natural mud. It was pretty hot too, if I'm being honest. We took it easy and just enjoyed our time in town together, and then it was time to embark on a 3-day adventure out into the wilds of the country. Oli had organised the whole thing and we were both really excited.

We met our guide, Ólafur - or Ólaf for short, early on December 28th and he got us on the road. We were heading to a place called Vik first, famous for it's towering basalt columns and black sand beaches - how very fitting for Oli. We stopped at beautiful, partly-frozen waterfalls on the way as well as some geothermal areas where steam rose up from the ground reminiscent of the heat from the subway in New York city. This was much more beautiful though. Oli absolutely loved the black sand beaches and one of them actually had a plane wreck on it! Everything was worthy of photos and I quickly found out that our guide was more than just someone to show us the sights, but also an extraordinary photographer - happy to take as many photos as Oli and I wanted on his massive, flashy-looking camera. Little did I know, Oli had actually asked for our guide to have knowledge of photography. He thought of everything. We checked into a gorgeous, cosy, wooden cottage for the night and explored ice caves and glaciers the next morning, then headed on to Jökulsárlón. That place was even more insane, with a lagoon literally scattered with bus-sized icebergs and another black sand beach - this one with chunks of ice the size of cars all over it. We even saw seals in the ocean. It was incredible.