Chapter 1

There were too many rumors circulating in that high school. People seemed to love observing each other so much, coming up with their own theories, sharing them to others with a little extra spices. Art wasn't their only specialty, apparently. Cha Jinhee learned this fun fact quite early in her freshman year, which she found not so fun after all, being one of the many topics people talked about. It was enough to limit her circle of friends – she'd rather not sit together with gossipers who would talk about her too when she wasn't around, and thus she had grown unaware of the buzzes. She was more contented that way.

Even so, it might have been better if she had had knowledge of some important rumors.

"I've seen the students list in your new class."

The first morning in her sophomore year, Jinhee was accompanied by a particular senior boy; the student council president, to be exact. On his nametag was printed silver Korean letters of his name, Han Seungwoo. He was bubbly and cuddly, despite being so tall and having a strong intimidating aura when his broad smile wasn't present. But that morning his smile was there, greeting his favorite girl whom he considered his own sister, who had grown up together with him and his actual sister for many sweet years.

"You're in the same class as Yeonie again! You girls are destined to be together." Seungwoo cuddled the younger girl as he laughed, not minding the eyes that had fallen on them.

"I know, right? It's like the seventh time we're in the same class since elementary school." Chuckling, Jinhee squirmed off the older's arms, her bright chocoate brown eyes flicking side to side scanning some unwanted stares. It wasn't that she hated the display of affection; being the center of attention was what made her uncomfortable. She smoothed her navy blue uniform and fixed her long, lush wavy black hair as they walked together down a busy corridor. "Anyways, did Yeonwoo sleep in again?"

"She was still in the shower when I left," Seungwoo giggled recalling his morning that had been loud and chaotic, thanks to his dear little sister. "Ah, it's not that I didn't want to wait! As the council president, I've got to show a good example to others. How do I show a good example, you may ask? One way is by coming early and escorting my princess to her class."

"Ugh, stop it." Jinhee suppressed her laugh and gave a playful punch on the boy's arm. "This is why people think there's something going on between us! They see you get clingy and say corny stuff to me. Stop that, I'm serious."

"Corny? You consider my sweetness corny?" Seungwoo pretended to sulk, jutting out his bottom lip. He proceeded to tease her with his funny pouty face and whiny sounds, causing her to giggle and try to push his face away in a shy manner.

"Aish, they're together again... How lucky." Jinhee caught a mumble coming from a group of girls heading the opposite direction. She sighed and opted to ignore it. They had arrived outside her classroom anyway.

Not yet letting Jinhee in, Seungwoo poked his head into the room and managed to steal some attention. When he turned back to her, a restrained smile was plastered on his lips.

"What are you so worried about? I'm not a toddler on the first day of preschool, you know." Jinhee chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Can I get in now?"

Seungwoo held the girl's narrow shoulders and bent down a little, peering through his bangs to look into her round eyes. "Tell me if a boy messes with you, okay? I'll make sure he won't even come close the second time." He pinched Jinhee's cheeks and poked her nose, making her huff in embarrassment. Her new classmates didn't even try to look oblivious and hide the curiosity in their prying eyes.

"Bye bye, Jinny! Have fun in class!" Seungwoo beamed and waved as he turned on his heels and jogged away to get back on his business.

"Bye bye, baby! Daddy loves you!" A mocking voice came from the back of the class, where a group of boys were sitting on their desks. One of them had strikingly bold and sharp features, a handsome face and a nice build that could easily snatch attention in a crowd. He hopped off his desk, blocked Jinhee's way and pinched her cheeks, teasing her in a high-pitched voice mimicking Seungwoo's. "Did a boy annoy my baby? Should I kick his ass? Should I kick his balls? Oh wait, it's Lee Hangyul! Nevermind!"