Chapter 6

Jaye and I looked at each other awkwardly for a while, unsure of what to say. He tried talking first. “I’m sorry about this, I know it probably sucks having someone follow you around, but Sterling is doing this for your own safety and I  swear I will try and make it as comfortable as possible, I really don’t want to be a bother.”

I smiled and nodded with understanding. “Well I’ll show you up to my room and I can show you the guest room if you want to put your stuff down.” I gestured to his suitcase.

“Actually….man I’m sorry...I have to sleep in the same room as you. We can move a different bed in, by no means do I need to sleep in the same bed, but the same room, yeah…” He gave me a wary look. I just sighed and nodded again. “Okay, lets go move the bed from the guest room into my room then.”

I got up and Jaye followed as I led him to the guest room. It took us about an hour to finally get the bed moved and set up in my room, but we managed to do it. “Alright.” I started “Well, this is my room…” I gestured around “and I guess you’ll be staying here a while so get comfortable. The bathroom is down the hall two doors down. Feel free to set your stuff up where you want.” He smiled at me shyly before getting up and walking down to the bathroom, to set up his stuff I assume.

I laid back on my bed and glanced at my phone to check the time. 6:30 already! The horrible day went by so fast. I decided I needed to make dinner but I couldn't really be bothered, so I just called a pizza delivery and laid back on my bed to take a nap.

I slept for probably 20 minutes before I heard footsteps. I sat up and rubbed my eyes to see that Jaye had entered the room. I could tell he had just showered and changed into a black T-shirt and some sweat pants. He smiled over at me and went over to sit on his bed. “Do you want me to make dinner?” He asked. “Thats alright I ordered pizza.” I replied with a smile. “Thanks.” He said and smiled again. On que, the doorbell rang and I sat up to get it. “Let me.” Jaye jumped up. I frowned “You don’t need to protect me from the pizza man, I’m 17.” I huffed.

Jaye gave me a confused yet hurt look “I’m sorry...I wasn’t trying to….I was just trying to be kind…” Instantly I felt bad. “Right, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to snap at you...I guess its just been a long day” I sighed. “Thats understandable” he said and chuckled before heading downstairs. He returned a few minutes later with the pizza.

“Where do you want to eat?” he asked.

“Why don’t we set it in the living room and watch a movie?” I suggested.

He beamed and nodded, so he grabbed the pizza and I led the way downstairs.

“Okay what movie?” I asked

“You pick, its your house”

“Okay how about The Notebook”

He scrunched his nose up “Anything but that”

I laughed “Okay how about The Avengers?”

He nodded and smiled, so I put it in.

------

The movie was fun but Jaye and I didn’t talk so it was a little awkward. I checked the time and it was 9 so I decided to head to bed. “Jaye, I’m gonna go to bed alright?”

“Yeah me too.” He replied and jumped up.

I ran upstairs and brushed my teeth, then I went over to the sink and took out my contacts and put on some flannel pajama bottoms and a T-shirt. I went in my room and saw Jaye glancing down at his phone on his bed. I sat down on my bed and looked over at him, he glanced up and I shrieked. He jumped up obviously startled by my scream and gave me a confused glance.

“Your eyes….” I whispered. They glowed like mine, but they were like a beautiful baby blue. He relaxed and chuckled. “You think Sterling would send a human to watch over you? Relax Azura, I’m like you, we’re both ignios.”

I laughed and relaxed. “Sorry,” I spoke up “I just wasn’t expecting it. I love the color of your eyes though, the baby blue is really nice.” I looked up and he was blushing. “I like yours too.” He responded quietly. I smiled and muttered a “thanks” before switching off the lights and jumping into bed.

“Jaye?” I said softly.

“Hmmm?”

“Tell me about yourself?”

“Only if you tell me about yourself.

I laughed “Okay, how about I ask you a question, you answer and then ask me?”

He chuckled “The question game?”

“Yeah…”

He laughed again “Okay, you start.”

I didn’t have to think too hard as I knew nothing but Jaye’s name.

“How old are you?

“18. Whats your favorite color?”

“Teal. Are you still in school.”

“No, I dropped out at 16. Do you have a boyfriend.”

I laughed “No, not me. Do you have a girlfriend?”

“No its a single life for me, what about that boy who was with you when I first arrived?”

“Oh Caden? He’s my best friend.”

“You sure? It didn’t really seem like it.”

“I’m sure.” I said a bit too strongly. I realized this “I’m sorry, I’m just tired and it makes me a little snappy.” I apologized.

“Its fine Azura.” He assured me.

Neither of us spoke for a few seconds until he softly muttered “Goodnight Azura.”

I smiled and responded with a goodnight before drifting into a gentle sleep.