VidCon

I'm sitting next to him on the plane.
We were going to VidCon together. I was already nervous about meeting people, plus all of the extra fangirls. I said something awful. I wish I could take it back. I'm too prideful.

We're silent. I'm staring at the seat in front of me, finding small pictures in the fibers. I feel a weight on my shoulder. I look over to see Felix watching Netflix on his laptop, leaning against me, head resting on my shoulder. I feel myself tense, and continue studying the seat.

After a while, after I've decided I would rather this plane crash than have to listen to Felix talk about my stupid, horrible comment, I hear a soft snore from my side. Felix fell asleep. His head started to drift off my shoulder, so I gently laid him down onto my lap, nervous about this whole thing. He's so cute. I think I love him. That scares me.

Crash, crash, crash. Felix shifts a little and I hesitantly take his hand and draw lazy patterns on his palm. He whimpers a little in his sleep, and I immediately drop his hand, tensing again.

Over time, as I think about ways to distract the pilot, his hand reaches around, trying to find mine, I assume. I reach out again, wanting him to find it. He did.

I played with his fingers, kissing each one. He shifted. I stopped. He whined in his sleep. I began again. My heart got all fluttery and my stomach flipped. He made a small squeaking noise, something like a kitten would, and my heart swelled. I got a surge of courage. I can't believe I'm about to do this. I'm kissing his forehead. Oh my God. His eyes are fluttering open. I let go of his hand.

"Ryan?" He whispers.
"Yes?" My face was flaming. Please God, crash it. Crash it. Fucking crash it.
"Did you...?" I took a deep breath. Really deep. Maybe if I didn't get oxygen fast enough, I'd pass out.
"Yes."
"Oh."
"Yeah." He sat up. I thought about all the lives that would be lost if the plane crashed. Fuck it. I don't care. Why wouldn't this stupid plane crash?

He looked at me for a long time.
"Do you...?"
"Yes."
"Oh."
"Yeah."

I wouldn't meet his eyes. He placed a finger under my chin and made me look at him. The butterflies in my stomach turned into killer bees. My eyes widened.
"Me too." He said, and pressed his lips to mine. Warmth bubbled from the center of my chest to the tips of my toes, into every last finger, weaving itself into my entire body. I sat completely still. My eyes were open.

I felt his confidence waver. He pulled away, tears brimming his eyes. I shook out of my paralysis. I kissed him this time, earning strange, ugly, and adoring expressions from people around us. I heard a girl gasp, but I don't think it was a bad kind.

Again, I refused to look at him. He refused to look away.

Hey, Mr. Pilot? Scratch that. Onto VidCon.