Chapter 7

Daichi was unprepared.

That's all you need to know to figure out why he was nervous as hell for this test. His father had taken him out to hunt many times, but was he paying attention? Not one bit. He was too busy thinking about his elf friend. The elf friend that Daichi couldn't help but admit was beautiful.

"Daichi, are you okay, you've been spacing off a lot," his mother questioned, feeling his forehead for any sign of sickness. He waved her hand away.

"I'm fine, just thinking about the test," Daichi said truthfully. His father slapped his back, making him jump and wince.

"Don't worry about it, son! I think it's less thinking about a test and more thinking about someone," he teased. Daichi's face lit up and he immediately tried denying it. His father only laughed. "Come on, I know exactly how you feel!"

"You do?" Daichi said embarrassed. His father nodded.

"At your age I was head over heels for your mother," he explained. Daichi's mother chuckled. "She was probably the most beautiful girl in my eyes. I still can't believe I managed to call her mine."

"Don't even start, get along with the story," his mother ordered playfully. His father just smiled and looked back at Daichi.

"Well, I was so hung up on trying to get her to even look at me that I didn't even practice for the test, but I still passed!" he exclaimed. Daichi smiled softly and looked back at the food he had barely touched. "So, who is it?"

"Oh, well... it's..." Daichi tried. How could he tell his father, an elf hunter, that the person that he was 'head over heels' for was an elf? He bit his lip.

"Don't worry about it, I hope to meet her someday," his dad said. Daichi nodded before eating a few more bites and getting up.

"Well, I'll be heading out I guess," he said, grabbing his bag that was slung on his chair. His father watched his go before getting up. "What are you doing?"

"Coming with you? I'm guessing you're going to practice?" he explained. Daichi shook his head.

"No, I'm going to relieve some stress, I'll bring my bow if you want," Daichi said. His mother had started worrying about him more and said to start taking his bow for protection. He understood why, but Sugawara told him that nothing will hurt him if he didn't look threatening.

"Yes, you do that," his mother said, handing him his bow and arrows. Daichi slung the quiver around his shoulder and waved before heading out.

It was peaceful until Kageyama appeared in front of him. Daichi flinched and looked at the younger male confused. "Do you need something, Kageyama?"

"I was wondering where you go to practice when don't have it, you're really good at aiming so I wanted to practice with you," Kageyama explained. Daichi thought of a way to respond.

"Uh... I would rather keep this place a secret, if that's understandable-"

"Of course, I should've thought of that, sorry Daichi-san," Kageyama said, cutting him off and bowing slightly.

"It's fine, Kageyama, I'm just going to go there now, so I'll see you later," Daichi chuckled, passing Kageyama to continue his journey. What he didn't know was that Kageyama was looking at him suspiciously.
_______

Daichi made it to the spot to see Sugawara sitting with the fawn and reading from his book. The weather was getting colder, so Sugawara was wearing a sweater that covered his hands a bit.

"Hey," Daichi said. Sugawara looked over and grinned, closing his book and patting the spot next to him. "How was school?"

"It was amazing, Furutani was out sick, so I didn't have to deal with him annoying me," Sugawara explained, looking at Daichi to explain his day.