Chapter 5

If there was a third victim when did it happen?

Since Claire didn't report it, I had a hunch that it happened last night.

The Sheriffs vehicle pulled up and officer Miles (Claire's father) and officer Smitz walked up.

"What brings you here today Ms Thorne?" Off.Miles asked looking at me.

"I'm just here to see my classmate" I replied.

"You can visit some other time, we have some business to deal with now" he replied.

"Why would I and she's not here anymore?" I replied.

"What do you mean by that?" Officer Smitz asked.

Did they think that I was dumb?

I shouldn't let them know that I somewhat knew what was happening.

"Isn't she away from the country?" I answered then walked back to my car.

Since they were influencing the parents of the victims to hide the fact that their child died, I had a hunch that they would've used my lie to justify that Kiara was      'alive'.

A fourth victim huh.

Seriously, what was happening in our town?

I drove back to my house. Claire, Jade and Tia were waiting. They all had smiles on their faces. What were they so happy about?

"Why are you all here?" I queried as I hopped out of my car.

"So that we can share our findings of course" Claire responded.

I invited them in once again and we sat down to discuss.

"I'm so happy because everyone was alive" Claire chirped.
"Same" Jade and Tia replied.

Oh, so that's why they were so happy. Should I tell them the news?

"Okay, so tell us the good news" Claire stated.

"They were alive too" I answered.

I wasn't lying because I didn't say that they were ALL alive.

"Yes! I knew nothing was wrong" The three exclaimed.

I forced a smile.

"Claire" I called. She turned to me.

"When you return home ask your father if he knows who Kiara Richards is" I requested.

"Why? Why? Is she a victim?" She asked. She seemed really anxious.

I don't like lying, I just twist the truth or just avoiding the question.
I love to think that there's a difference.

"I don't know who she is so I'm hoping that your father would at least have an idea" I answered.

"Oh then sure" she answered.

"Okay, you guys can leave now, I have things to do"- and by that, I meant sleeping.

They got up and bid me goodbye before leaving.

I settled into my bed and had a nap. Today was tiring.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I grabbed it and answered it quickly.

Me: hello
Claire: So I did what you asked and my Dad said that Kiara was abroad.

I knew that he'd go along with my lie. I purposely said that in order to see what he'd do. Now I definitely knew that the sheriffs were covering things up.

Me: okay, I see

Claire: but I'm sensing that something's wrong. I asked him that while he was drinking tea and he spilled some on himself... what's going on?

Me: Ah, I don't exactly know (I wasn't lying anyway). Byeee

Should I tell her all that I knew? Or should I keep it to myself?

_________________________________
Definition of me = LAZY