Chapter Three

I had become a routine for us that we would see Samantha, and do some things that would make her fall for her secret admirer; Stephan would treat me with this or that as payment up until the point that I got sick of it, and told him that I couldn't help him.

"I said, stop this plan now! Can't you see? She's not even interested in knowing who her secret admirer is. I'm sorry Stephan, but I cannot hold on to this plan." I gave up. I walked down the hallway of the building, and he followed me.

"Wait, Antoinette! Fine. I know you're tired of this thing." I was glad he noticed. "But I really need your support for this one last option." I stopped. "Finally, you listen! Let's talk it over there," he said, pointing to the bench a few yards away from us with his index finger.

"What is it? Be quick!" I demanded.

"Okay. I will confess to her tomorrow."

I was shocked by what I heard. I couldn't do anything but to be supportive because I was the best friend.

"Good. What shall I do to help you?" I said as convincing as I could.

"Tomorrow morning, ask her to or join her and her friends during our break time. You will act as my lookout so that I will be sure she will not leave or no man will get near her. It's simple. Please, do it for your best friend. Pretty please?" he pleaded.

"Okay," I responded. It was the only word I could muster at the moment.

"You're the best! Thank you," he said, delighted.

"No problem. I'm your 'best friend,' how can I ignore such simple request?" I faked a smile and emphasized those two words which I was starting to hate.

"I have to go now. I still need to prepare everything for tomorrow. I love you, best friend." He hugged me and left me sitting there alone on the bench.

It wasn't simple at all. He didn't know that what he considered as simple made his "best friend" melancholic. He didn't know that what made him happy made his "best friend" feel like dying. He didn't know anything.

To make it worse, he wass supposed to take me home today but he forgot about it because he was busy thinking about how to impress Samantha tomorrow.

My phone buzzed. I saw a message from this guy whom I had been loving for several years now.

From: Best friend

Sorry, Toinette. I forgot to give you a ride to your house because I was really excited for tomorrow. Hope you don't mind. I'll just treat you chocolates until you forgive me. Take care of yourself, best friend. :)

-----

I really hoped that by just giving me chocolates, you could actually mend my broken heart.

-----

To: Best friend

Nope. I don't mind at all. Good luck, best friend. Take care of yourself too. :))

-----

I replied. I was just staring at my phone when I saw a droplet of water on the screen. I didn't realize that my tears were betraying me. I laughed bitterly as I wiped the water off my face. "I'm a living martyr." With that, I stood up and went home, alone.

I went to school restraining what I was feeling inside me. I tried my best to keep up the pretense that everything was fine. He needed me. This was the least I could do to help him even though, in turn, I knew I would get hurt.

I did everything that was planned. Now, I was sat with Samantha and her friends. What's taking that guy so long? I don't want to talk to these people. If only I do not love you, Stephan, I'm not gonna ever do this.