Chapter 9

Evie had woken up since dawn to watch the sunrise. Uncle John said there is nothing that could beat the beauty of Locksley's sunrise and she wanted to prove it. She had propped her window with some pillows and blanket to keep her warm from the chilly air. Daddy's right. She fell in love with Locksley right when she arrived. There was something so fascinating about Locksley, especially the Sherwood Forest. Sure its palace wasn't something grand like Enchanted Forest has, but that doesn't make it any less good. It felt indescribably welcoming, Evie could perfectly imagine how fun would it be to spend her whole summer here.

She sat against the window as the dawn started to broke. The sun rose slowly, casting sunbeam throughout the trees. As it climbed higher into the sky, the sky changed is color from a deep blue tone into a mix of red and orange hues. After the sun has finally risen, Evie slipped out of her room and decided to take a stroll around the palace. There were some maids she met at the hall, all bowing to her. All these bowing and curtsies made her laugh sometimes; it felt awkward. It's still early in the morning, no wonder it felt so quiet. Evie walked barefoot on the grass, which glistened in the early-morning dew. The feeling of the soft, damp grass felt someway good on her feet. This whole experience was mesmerizing. Locksley clearly holds a special space in her heart.

She ended up visiting the stable. Evie always loves the horses and always wanted to ride one. She easily spotted Bandit and Rocinante; her parents' prized steeds. Evie moved toward slowly, trying to pet Rocinante and offering him an apple. Rocinante gladly enjoyed it, making it easier for Evie to pet him. She brushed his mane with her fingers to detangle them. She quickly grabbed the brush, gently brushing it. Evie knew she had to build her trust between her and the horse before learning how to ride on one.

"Princess!"

Evie jumped a little, startled by the voice. "Good morning, Uncle Will! Thank heaven that Rocinante wasn't startled or I might be kicked." She sighed. "And please stop calling me Princess."

"But you are! You better get use to it. Everyone you meet will call you by that title."

She sat on the stack of hay, staring blankly at her parents' steeds. Uncle Will's right. She's a princess and there was so much more to it than just a title. There was so much responsibility waiting up for her.

Realizing that he had made Evie overthinking, Will Scarlett tried to change the subject. "What makes you up so early?"

She shrugged. "Uncle John says Locksley have the most beautiful sunrise, so I decided to watch it."

"Was he right?"

Evie nodded happily; smiling from ear to ear. She watched as Will Scarlett preparing his horse for a ride. He said he was going to go to the village, checking on their people to report everything back to Robin. She smiled a bit, hearing his father is a good leader sent warmth over her heart.

"We really don't deserve Daddy. Right, Bandit?" Evie walked over Bandit, studying him as he ate. "You know I kind of envy you. You must've spent more time with Daddy than I am."

"Thank you, for always being my father's best companion." Said Evie as she stroked Bandit's snout. "You too, Rocinante. I know how much Mommy loves you."

"Evie darling, what are you doing here?" There was her mother, standing in the doorway while putting her gloves on. Regina was already dressed in her riding suit.

"I honestly have no idea. I just wanted to be here." Evie laughed sweetly. "Where are you going, Mommy?"

"I'm just going to ride Rocinante around the yard." She smiled as putting the bridle on her steed.

"Seems like there will be a race this morning." Robin laughed as he entered the stable. "Are you up for a race?"

Regina smirked, holding her head up. She raised an eyebrow while teasing him. "Are you really challenging me? Do you forget that I'm the best?"