Chapter 6 : The Stone

- What I see is very little, I want something bigger than that. Gabriel would tell all his friends as he looked down the hill just after the Highway. Several black dots circled above the trees in circles and swirls.

We need them, all of them!

The boys looked at each other. Soon they packed their old backpacks and filled them with bottles of water, some biscuits secretly removed from the kitchens of their homes, took their bikes and left.

Pedrinho watched the group disappear on a corner in the distance almost in the Territories of No One. He walked quietly to the door and rang the bell. Dan appeared rubbing his eyes, he used to always sleep in the afternoon.

What do you want, little card?

- I mean, they just left for The Stone. Just imagine what you were going to do.

- They're thinking of forming an air team!

You seem very smart. What are you going to do?

I'm going to stop them. - ten minutes later, several boys were at the door with their backpacks on their backs and bicycles. "We have to go after them. They're after the Vultures.

They looked at each other scared. With several nods, they agreed and left as well. Pedrinho was in the rump of Dan's bike, swung from side to side always smiling.

The boys led by Gabriel arrived at the farm that was in the access to the hill. They left their bikes after the fence in the middle of the scrub. They refueled their bottles with fresh water from the house taps and grabbed guavas and sleeves. They went up the hill. The climb was difficult. Everyone hurt their legs and knees in the sharp, warm stones. They stuck in the strange plants full of thorns. The water and the food were over. His throats burned due to the dry air. Two rocks divided in half where one boy passed at a time.

They all shrank with the thin noise coming from above and the shadow that moved fast. An immense Vulture King dipped over everyone to disappear from their territories.

- Straight ahead is the nest! As soon as we approach the eggs the parents will come and then we capture as much of them. " said Gabriel.

- They all spoke at the same time.

- Of course not, just the males, after we use in the war we will let them go. Start plan of kidnapping and enlistment!

Yes, sir!

The bomb group prepared the German explosives. They threw over their heads when they hit the ground a black cloud took over the place. At once a bunch of white birds dipped trying to tear with their sharp claws the invaders.

- Attack with sound bombs!

Two boys positioned themselves, tied barbs to the detonators and threw it up. When the bombs came near the target they pulled the clamps. They exploded by throwing a gas leaving the vultures dizzy and causing them to fly too low.

A black curtain covered the peak of the saw. All the kids coughed. Something was debating on the floor. When the wind blew strong and lightening the vision, ten vultures remained almost immobile.

- The nets now.

Fishing nets fall tying, intertwining legs and wings. They dragged their saw packages down, turned left and entered a little bamboo grove. The wind produced a thin whistle between leaves, branches and bamboos. Gabriel saw Dan erecting a thin bamboo stick towards him. There was anger in his eyes.

- I can't let you stop by with those little birds!

- I pay to see, these pets will make us win this war that has lasted for months. – ripped out a piece of bamboo. " Move on. I'll hold you here.

Dan and Gabriel's footsteps stretched the dry leaves. Ran. Dan's group rushed to block the rival group, bumping into each other in the way of each other. The stones tore exposed legs and feet and small drops of blood marked a thin red path; the flies of the bush already sucked that way. Bamboo sticks cut through the air producing a fine noise and exploded into pieces that entered the boys' arms and hands. Dan tried to hit Gabriel's legs to take him down and then run. The other boys ran everywhere to share the rival group and then make it easier to stop them.

Gabriel struggled to defend himself from the blows, already felt tiredness in his muscles and bamboo loosened in his hand, almost falling. "I can't lose. I need these animals. I'm almost on edge. Old. I'm getting old." Thought became strong in his mind. Dan flinged and dug hard, looked at the rays of the sun going through the foliage of the little bamboo grove, felt like lying right there on that floor, it seemed pleasant, any day would come back with a good book and a bottle of juice and a basket of good food. For a moment he lowered his guard and opened his arms. Seeing the opening, Gabriel wasted no time and hit Dan's left armpit and pushed him back and, with a low, left him on the ground.

The screams became distant and unrecognizable, the vision remained fixed on top. Light produced yellow spots and oranges in the form of vultures, dogs, chickens, boys, danced and rotated all over the place. An orange boy jumped and gave somersaults, sometimes on top or in all directions, approached, approached and approached; near his ear, whispered. "I'm sorry!" At the same time i felt that his body was shaking. Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan. The stains are gone. Everyone was around you. And everyone watched him with sad, torn, dirty faces. The animals weren't there anymore. The Queen Vultures chanted their chants of sadness. Pedrinho stayed on the prowl.