Chapter 04 - Touched

"Thanks for your hard work, Shin-chan," Kita suddenly heard as he was cleaning up the balls before putting them back into the rack.

He saw L/n smiling at him as she grabbed a cloth and sat down on the floor beside him.

Grabbing a ball, she asked, "So... Haven't seen that blond guy anywhere. He skipped or something?" while wiping it clean.

"I told him to go home earlier," the captain answered. "He's sick and shouldn't be practicing."

"Really? Well, he must really love the sport. Even though he's sick, he still wanted to stay on the court," she said.

"He should take care of his health so that he could stay on the court for as long as he likes," his logic was cold yet she knew that he had a point.

"Cap'n! We're heading out first!" Osamu called out as he and his teammates were ready to leave the gym. "By the way, 'Tsumu may have been sulking earlier but he wanted to say thanks!" he added.

"Eh?" L/n wondered, looking at the captain to explain about what Osamu meant.

"I gave Atsumu food and drinks from the convenience store," he told her. "He needs to eat and rest properly in order for his health to get better. Afterall, he was chosen to participate for the All-Japan Youth Camp in Tokyo."

"Aw, Shin-chan, you do care!" the girl couldn't help but grin at the man beside her and then she stopped for a second. "Wait, did you just said 'All-Japan'?"

He nodded in response.

"Really?! That's---------- Wow!" she just exclaimed like she was the one going there.

Kita couldn't understand it. Why was she excited in behalf of their setter? Was it really that much of a deal?

He knew that Atsumu was a strong player. His skills were worthy to be recognized on the national level, so for the captain, it was only natural for Atsumu to be invited there. For him, it wasn't a surprise, yet the girl beside him was thrilled about it.

"You must be so proud to have a teammate like that," she told him.

Kita thought for a second before he revealed, "I actually am," with a small smile.

L/n, on the other hand, was caught off guard. Just seeing him show even just a tiny emotion made her heart swell.

"You know, Shin-chan, you should smile more often like that," she told him.

"What do you mean?" he asked as the smile wiped off his face.

"Aw, now it's gone!" she playfully pouted.

The captain only blinked in response before standing up to put the newly polished ball into the rack.

"It's just that you look attractive when you smile," his eyes widened upon hearing her words, making him turn to face her just in time for him to catch the ball that she tossed to him. "More attractive," she added with a rosy cheeked smile.

Kita shifted his gaze and looked at the ball in his hands. "I believe that I still look the same. It's still my face," he told her as he put the ball into the rack.

The girl chuckled. "You're right, it still is." With the help of her hand, she pushed herself up, groaning slightly as she stood up ever so slowly.

"Is something the matter?" he asked.

"No, no," she answered. Patting to take care of the wrinkled end of her skirt, she told him, "Just the prickly sensation on my legs. It caught me off guard," and gave off a small laugh.