Chapter Two

Another day.

Mika, Brian, and I plunked down on the plush couches after another busy, succesful day, sighing in relief as our aching backs sank into the soft pillows. The sun had set hours ago, and the bakery was finally quiet: just me and my best friends in tranquil silence.

Mika was the first to break the silence. "Thank God it's over. Today was tough."

Brian sighed. "Yeah. I have never seen that many people order that many three-tiered cakes at once!"

I giggled. "You still have frosting on your eyebrow from baking all that. Ah ah-" I stopped, pointing at Brian as he reached up to wipe it off, "Don't wipe it off. It suits you. Makes you look deranged. So fashionable."

Brian flung a pillow at me as Mika laughed. I ducked and stuck my tongue out at him, making another remark, which caused Mika to double over in laughter and Brian to stand up and start pelting pillow after pillow at me. Soon, pillows from the sofa were being flung everywhere as Mika and I teased Brian. Laughter filled the air as we enjoyed this time together, just the three of us.

Eventually, we sat down again, clutching our stomachs, pillows scattered all over the floor.

"You guys suck." Brian remarked, grinning.

"We know." Mika answered, winking. "C'mon, we should probably get this cleaned up so we can get home. It's getting late."

The three of us stood up and started picking up the pillows and placing them back where they belonged. Our pillow fight seemed worse than it actually was, though. Some pillows had made it to the back kitchen.

"I'll get it!" Brian said, and he bounded into the kitchen.

A few seconds later, he emerged with the pillow, which was unfortunately covered in white powder. I groaned. "Jeez. What happened?"

"Apparently one of the pillows I threw knocked over the flour. We have no flour left." Brian answered. He threw his hands up. "Okay, I shouldn't be the one to replace this. You provoked me." He pointed teasingly at Mika and me.

Mika grinned. "Okay, fine, we'll replace the flour. You're sweeping up the mess."

Brian groaned. "Fiiiiiine."

After some tidying-up, Mika and I left Brian in the store, running off to replace the spilled flour. The night was cold, and mist formed as we spoke. It was autumn, and it was steadily getting colder.

"Okay, so where are we buying? Carson's or that cute mini grocery at the end of town?" Mika asked.

"Carson's? It's getting late. Probably shouldn't be going far." I replied.

"Okay."

We walked to the grocery nearby, Carson's, talking animatedly all the way. She told me how she might be applying for a master's degree soon, in culinary arts. I told her that maybe if she did, we'd expand Seasons into a restaurant so that we'd be able to provide her with a proper job right away. She was elated by the idea, and continued chattering on about her plans.

I was intrigued, and maybe a little jealous. Here she was, a girl of many dreams, and she was so close to achieving them. She would, and she'd live her life the way she always wanted it to.

I couldn't do what I had wanted as a child. I had too much to give back, too much to uncover, too little time to focus on dreams. It all seemed pointless, suddenly.

It hit me then and there. What if I never proved my mother was innocent? Could I go on with my life? Could I chase old dreams, not completely faded away? Could I finally find happiness in other things?