Chapter 1

The old woman before me blinked as if I was stupid.

"The... Magmis?

"That is what I said, child." She was growing impatient.

"I have to go to the cave, and do what exactly?" This day was turning out to be much worse than I thought.

"A great danger is coming."

"Yes you said that. Look, this is not what I expected."

"Too bad." The Prophet looked angrily at me. "We all have prophecies and this is yours. Find The Magmis."

"Stupid hag!" I said to myself as I stuck to the shadows. Ogden and Ailen were behind me somewhere.

A soft hum echoed through the tunnel, it was sad, a song long forgotten.

"What is making that sound?" I jumped and turned to see Ailen behind me, his eyes looking beyond me.

"I don't know." I whispered back.
We drew our weapons and walked cautiously forward.

"Guys." Ogden whispered. "Guys."

"Not now Og!" I almost growled.

"Fine, I'll just allow the spiders to eat us then."

"Spiders?" My blood ran cold. I slowly turned back to look past Ailen, holding my torch out. Their large bodies shone in the flame.

"We are The Creutair." A shiver went down my spine as a thousand raspy voices spoke as one. "Many have come in search of The Magmis . None have ever made it. Leave now and you will not be harmed, stay, and you must answer 3 riddles, answer one wrongly, and you will all die."

"They are all around us." Ogden sounded panicked.

"We will not harm you, Mountain Child." The voices said. "Not yet."

"We have to find The Magmis." I said, "The fate of the world hangs in the balance. We have to find the weapon."

"The Magmis is not a weapon to be used." The Creutair hissed. "Does this mean you will attempt the riddles?

"How will we know you can keep your word?" Ailen asked, his voice made The Creutair scuttle across the rock walls. The soft melody started again.

"The Creutair do not harm those who answer correctly. That is our fate until someone takes The Magmis."

"We must find it. It is our only hope." I look at the others. They nod back at me, knowing the stakes.

"Very well. Child of the Moon, are you and your comrades ready?"

"Yes."

"Then we begin." The Creutair hissed out at me.

"Some will use me, while others will not.
Some have remembered when others forgot.
For profit or gain, I am used expertly.
I cannot be plucked from the ground or tossed out to sea.
Only through patience and time can you gain me.
What am I?"

I thought for a moment. Looking at Ailen and Ogden. Ailen's face was blank, while Ogdens eyes darted around.

"You are knowledge." Ailen said, The Creutair moved as one, and I thought they were going to attack, but they then stopped.

"Correct. We will bring forth the second riddle."

"I am as small as an ant, as big as a whale,
I'll approach like a breeze, but can come like a gale.
By some I get hit, but all have shown fear.
I'll dance to the music, though I can't hear.
Of names I have many, of names I have one.
I'm as slow as a snail, but from me you can't run."