Chapter 2

A dragon woke from its  long slumber, cold and frightened. It had never been frightened before,  and it didn't like the feeling. It called to its children, two answered,  but couldn't come. It called to its lover, but no answer came. It  stood, searching the darkness, where was it? It was cold and dark. Light  trickled down upon one spot on the dirt. It looked up, and tried to  spread its wings, but the cave was too small. It roared in anger,  betrayal, stomping and thundering, but nothing changed. It was trapped.  It was angry.

It wanted out.

••••••••••••••••••

I woke to the sun  beating down on me. The smell of cooking meat made me open my eyes and  look over to Ogden pushing something around in a pan.

"Where did you get the pan?" I asked. "I know you didn't bring it with you."

"I made it." I turned to see Euphrasie sitting cross legged on the grass.

"What?" I rubbed my eyes, frowning.

"I made it."

"How do you just "make" a pan?" I asked.

"After everything you  saw yesterday, me making a pan is what you question?" She didn't put any  emotion into what she said, but she smiled slightly, signifying she was  playing.

"Isn't this wonderful?!"  Eulalie danced around, leaving behind a trail of small flowers as she  ran. I realized the grass wasn't there when I laid down last night.

"Did you make this grow?" I asked, and she stopped dancing and smiled at me.

"Made what grow?" She asked back.

"The grass."

"Ah! Yes. I tend to do  that. Why? Don't you like it? It's lovely and soft." She knelt and  patted the grass fondly. "Nothing could grow in that dark place. I much  prefer it out here."

"Why weren't you out here then?" Ailen asked.

"And leave The Lady? I think not." Euphrasie sounded offended at the thought.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"Trying to find the others. They're hiding." Eulalie peeked into what Ogden was cooking, wide eyed.

"The others?"

"Our siblings." Euphrasie said. "Her children."

"I thought you said she was your sister." Ailen said, his glasses were cracked, but he still put them on.

"She is. In a way." Euphrasie said, leaning against a tree.

"But you just said that your siblings were her children."

"Yes."

"How does that work?"

"That's not for you."  Euphrasie seemed annoyed. "I can see the thirst for knowledge in you,  boy." She stared at him unblinking. "It is interesting."

"What is?"

"You are not one of mine, yet your thirst for knowledge runs deep. I wonder if there's something inside you." She narrowed her eyes at him.

"Well, you'll continue wondering. I'm not letting anyone look inside me. My thoughts are my own."

"Oh I can see your thoughts, young one, they are loud and clear." She smirked, I looked to Ailen, and saw the tips of his pointed ears going red.