Chapter Three: The Aurelias

PREVIOUSLY ... 

In the Wander Woods, an escaped Cosmian slave by the name of Melody encountered three hunters, one of whom developed a strange attachment to her.

On their journey out of the Woods, the party was attacked by a mysterious spirit, hunting for something it had lost.  They were able to fend off its assault, but not without its promise to return for all of them.

On their way to the citadel, Melody discovered the true identities of her companions.

They are the princes Yoongi, Taehyung and Jungkook of Etheria, and they plan on bringing her back to the castle.

Pretending to be a lost servant, Melody cannot let anyone find out her secret.  She has no choice but to accompany the princes to the one place she dreads the most.

But, the night of the strange spirit's attack, something else was happening back at the castle.

Something that would soon become the Seven Sons' greatest battle yet.

FREYA'S P. O. V. 

In my dream, the sky was blood red.

The landscape was unfamiliar. Trees were thin, blackened, curling and reaching over the dirt path like a protective barrier, though the sharp spindles on their branches seemed more like threats than assurances.

I looked down. I was dressed in a white shift, with nothing to cover my arms against the unfathomable chill.

There she is. There is the one I seek.

The whisper sent a bolt of fear right through me. It was as though a thousand snakes were tangling about my throat, squeezing.

"Who's there?" I called into the red void, voice echoing into non-existence.

Turn around, Freya, daughter of Caspian and Dyana. Turn, and you shall see.

Against my better judgement, I did.

A spirit made of dust and shadow. It's billowing cloak whipped in the wind it stirred, and it drifted forward with a wave of whispers.

I fought rising panic. "Who are you?"

I am your master. You are mine. Beneath the hood, there were only glowing orbs for eyes, and they drilled into my very core. I could have sworn I felt icy tendrils wrap around my heart.

This is a dream, I told myself. It isn't real. This thing can't hurt you.

Wrong, girl. The creature shifted, and then it really was icy tendrils around my heart. They squeezed, relentless, until I dropped to my knees, gasping for air, unable to scream.

How was it doing that? How had it heard my thoughts? Was I really just dreaming?

"S-s-stop!" I pleaded, clawing at my chest, my heart like a bubble about to burst. "Please!"

The pressure released, and I sank to the ground with relief. The creature assessed me, shivering in a ball, and let out an ear-scraping peal of laughter.

The sound sparked my anger. I wanted to turn. I wanted to take my wolf form and tear the hateful thing to shreds.

But in this bizarre world of dreams, I had none of my werewolf power or strength. I was practically human.