Chapter Four: The Master

PREVIOUSLY  ...

Freya discovered the mysterious creature haunting her dreams.

The Aurelias, the same creature that attacked the princes and Melody in the Wander Woods.  It is a granter of wishes, and has come to collect on a wish made by Freya's parents twenty years ago.

The price is Freya's freedom, and if she refuses, the Aurelias has threatened to take everyone that she loves.

Aside from Namjoon, the Seven Sons are unaware of the magnitude of their situation.

But some occupants of the castle, in particular Yoongi's mate, Bea, are about to discover the secret of the creature in the Woods. 

BEA'S P. O. V. 

The tip of the arrow pierced the target with about as much accuracy as a drunken fly. I groaned and set down the bow, stretching my aching shoulders. I had been at it for an hour, and the new design of the arrow was not going to plan. Namjoon had requested some detailed fletching, but the added weight was throwing off the aim.

Or it could have been that Namjoon was twice my size and his bow was made accordingly. I would need to get him up there to try it out before I made any more adjustments.

The table in my weapon's room was almost bowing under the weight of the new designs for arrows, daggers and throwing knives. Etherians were opting for sleeker models as opposed to the heavy swords and spears of the old king's time. Maybe it was a way to forget the reign of Coward King and move on. As the court Weapon Master, I was in charge of adapting our weapons to suit the new time, but I was slowly being buried in work.

I needed a break.

I turned to a second table, laden with a different style. The mystical kind. Crafting weapons to combat the supernatural was my speciality, and the reason I had been hired by the old king almost five years ago. It seemed like a dream, that time. I'd been younger, scared out of my skin but so excited to be working in a place like the castle.

It was strange. Back then, the king had seemed so kind, so caring. His people were his heart, but during the Great Revolt he had just ... left. Leaving his sons to pick up the pieces.

Before the Revolt, all the Sons had to worry about was keeping Etheria safe from the Pure-Wolf radicals that occupied some of our neighbouring kingdoms—kings and queens who believed in keeping werewolves and humans separate, or wiping out the human race entirely.

I smiled. I wondered what those kingdoms would think of my mate.

I hefted a sturdy iron birdcage into my arms. I had painted the outer metal with liquid crystals that had attractive energy, and the inner metal with repellent crystals. It was designed to lure and then trap the pesky grass-nymphs that were currently plaguing the castle gardens, digging up holes and tripping people up.

It was too big, of course, had some more fine tuning—

—a pair of arms snaked around my waist from behind.

Had it been any other person, I would have thrown them over my shoulder. But I'd known who it was ever since they'd entered the room.

"I'm working ..." I told my mate, Prince Yoongi, as his arms tightened and his head dropped to my shoulder.

"Are you?" He mumbled, pressing a kiss to my neck. "I felt you through the bond. You need a distraction."

I shook the cage in his face. "This is my distraction."