22 - He Taught Me

тrυly greaт тeacнerѕ

                тeacн yoυ wιтнoυт yoυ noтιcιng

October 17th, 9:58 AM

"Hey, Demi!" I was nearing the door of Trent's third hour when I was turned around by Austin's voice. I leaned on the wall, and greeted him with a smile. "Whoa," he blew out under his breath. "I'm gonna have to get used to this new image."

        "Sorry," I said with a small smile. "The hair is kind of eclectic," I shrugged. "Sorry for lunch yesterday."

        "What do you mean?" He furrowed his brow. "I had a great time and your friends seemed cool; if they hadn't stolen you away, school would've."

        I laughed. "Did you get to fifth in time?" I asked.

        "Yeah!" he nodded and a one minute warning bell sounded in the school. "Let's see if Trent is back."

        Austin let me head through the door first and I spotted Trent with his back to me, shuffling through some papers. "Welcome back, Trent," I offered as I moved to my desk, setting my backpack down before sitting.

        "Thank you, Demetri-" he stopped talking as he turned around with a giant stack of papers in his hand, I was afraid he would drop them. "Holy shit," he exclaimed and I turned red. "Did you know your hair looks edible?" he asked and the class and I all laughed.

        My hair was in it's naturally wavy state that day, I tucked a strand behind my ear and fixed my glasses as I blushed.

        "You know what? I'm going to need you today, as well as one of our other Grits, will they be here?" he asked and Holly, Austin and Damien all looked to me for an answer.

        I was amazed that he was referring to me as a Grit, and also that he was referring to the fact that I was most likely the only one in the whole school who could give you information on the trio at any time. I thought of the day before, the party of troublemakers had inducted me, maybe only slightly, into their culture. I knew how they wasted time, how they pushed each other to take risks, how they looked out for each other - it was as if I was one of them.

        "I don't think Griffin will be here," I told them and the class bell punctuated my sentence. "But I imagine the Tyler's should be arriving fashionably late as usual." After I said this, I realized the boys like to make a habit of entering just as I finish referring to them; Tristan and Jake Tyler entered the open classroom then and followed each other toward the back.

        "Sorry," Jake said sarcastically, laughing lightly and Tristan shouldered his way passed Damien Hawthorne to the back of the room.

        "Alright, I have a few announcements, but I'm going to leave them for the end of class. Don't let me forget," Trent nodded and turned around to the white board standing behind his desk, he uncapped his marker and began to draw two lines that crossed perpendicularly.

        "Nice leather, Vis," Tristan complemented, if it was a complement.

        "When are you going to stop calling me that?" I asked, rolling my eyes and casting a glance back to him.

        "Once you stop being one," he replied with a smirk.

        "Or maybe once you get arrested," Jake humoured.

        I exhaled sharply and turned to the front of the class, on the white board were three familiar terms; Kings, Floaters, Invisibles and Grits.