Chapter 2: The Fortune Cookie™

Lan Wangji went over for a family dinner at his brother Lan Xichen's house. It was a pretty place, white walls, a black roof, white interior with oak wood floors and an assortment of blue and green furniture decorating it, making it feel very clean and home-like. Lan Wangji liked it, it reminded of his mother's house where they'd grown up. It was a comforting place where he felt safe, surrounded by comfy furniture and beautiful houseplants.

Lan Wangji was the last to get there, so when he arrived, he was pleasantly greeted by his son, Lan Sizhui, his nephew of sorts, Lan Jingyi and his brother, Lan Xichen. Lan Qiren stayed back and simply nodded stiffly, a nod which Lan Wangji returned, glad they weren't falsifying a sense of familial closeness. Once they'd all been greeted, they sat at the dining table.

The table was covered in a white tablecloth, with sky blue placemats and serviettes. The serviettes each had a serviette ring, silver ones with the name of the individual engraved in curly handwriting on the front. These serviette rings were used specially at family gatherings, they were a gift given at each child's christening, for as long as Lan Qiren could remember, so Lan Wangji assumed it was long enough to be considered a family tradition. The table was set beautifully, and Lan Xichen brought the food through as they all sat and chatted, Sizhui and Jingyi asking Lan Wangji excitedly about the joint "musical theatre" lessons they were doing.

Once Lan Xichen had brought out all the separate vegetarian dishes, he sat down and picked up his knife and fork, signaling that the rest of them could begin as well. The entire room went silent as they all ate politely, quietly. This was another odd thing their family did, they always remained silent during meals. It was considered rude if one was loud and rambunctious during meals, so they always ate quietly and peacefully, only talking if they wanted someone to pass the water, or the salt, always using "please" and "thank you" and each other's respective titles.

They all finished one by one, Lan Jingyi finishing last, placing their cutlery on their plates. Lan Xichen smiled and collected in the plates, piling them up, taking them through to the kitchen. Lan Wangji followed him, carrying all of the empty food dishes through as well, as the two youths started chattering immediately, making Lan Qiren's brows knit, expression morphing into a scowl. Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen rinsed off the plates, Lan Wangji putting the few leftovers there were into Tupperware's to be sorted in the fridge. While they were working Lan Xichen started to enquire about Lan Wangji's day.

"Brother, how was your meeting with Wei Wuxian?" asked Lan Xichen, trying to hide the playfulness in his voice, and the teasing grin that threatened to cover his face.

Lan Wangji's face and ears went pink and he stopped packing away the leftovers for a few seconds, to think through his reply.

"...good," he said slowly, closing the lids of the Tupperware's and piling them up to be put in the fridge.

"That's good," Lan Xichen smiled, humming to himself as he rinsed off and placed the last of the dishes into the dishwasher. "So... nothing happened then?"

Lan Wangji choked a little but covered it up as polite cough.

"What... what are you insinuating?" said Lan Wangji, opening the fridge and balancing the Tupperware's on his knee, holding up the small pile with his one hand, holding the fridge door open with the other.

"Oh, you know exactly what I'm insinuating," said Lan Xichen, watching his brother place the Tupperware's neatly into his fridge.

When ~Lan Wangji was finished he huffed, turning to face his brother.

"If," said Lan Wangji slowly, exiting the kitchen. "You are insinuating what I believe you are then... the answer is no."

"Aww," grumbled Lan Xichen, grabbing a golden jar off the counter and following Lan Wangji through to the dining room. "It's okay brother, you'll get him next time."