Call It What You Want

I'm laughing with my lover, making forts under covers, trust him like a brother. Yeah, you know I did one thing right. Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night.

I groan as open my eyes and am met with Olivia standing inches away from my face meowing loudly. I reach out and pet her, then roll over to check the time. 10:13! "No wonder you're hungry" I whispered to her. I crawl out of bed, scooping her up with me and carry her downstairs to the kitchen, calling for Meredith as I walk. I quickly put some food in their bowls and begin making myself breakfast.

I sat on the couch drinking my coffee and reading a book with the tv playing quietly in the background. A few chapters later, something in the tv caught my attention. I heard my name. I looked up and it was a TMZ report playing a video of a crowd of people at a Kanye concert chanting "Fuck Taylor Swift". I quickly turned off the tv as tears filled my eyes. Why can't they just leave me alone?

I attempted to distract myself, but there was no use. All that I could hear was the hateful words of that report cycling through my head. I began to break down. I went back upstairs, closed my bedroom door behind me and crawled into bed. I cocooned myself in the covers and began to sob. I ignored the meowing and scratching at the door and the vibrations of my phone. I just wanted to disappear.

I must've fallen asleep for awhile because the next time I opened my eyes, it was practically dark out. I heard the door open downstairs and Joe's voice echoing through the apartment as he said hello to the cats. I soon heard him call out for me and when I didn't answer I heard his footsteps coming up the stairs.

The door slowly opened and I looked up making eye contact with him. His face softened when he saw me. He walked into the room and sat next to me in the bed.

"I'm sorry love" he whispered.

"You saw it too?" I asked, to which he nodded. 

"You can't just lay in bed all day Taylor. That would be letting them win and you're so much better than them." he pleaded. I said nothing so he got up and left the room.

About thirty minutes later the door reopened. Joe walked over to me grabbing my hands and pulling me up out of bed.

"Joe, I just want to be alone today" I said, hoping he would give up and let me be, but he continued to walk out of the bedroom and down the stairs, dragging me along behind him. When we reached the end of the staircase, he instructed me to close my eyes. I groaned, but did as he said. 

He led me into the living room and told me to open.

My eyes immediately filled with tears.

I saw a homemade blanket fort with a glistening string of white Christmas lights. Inside the fort I saw two bowls of pasta and a bottle of pinot grigio. The tv was on, set to the next episode of Game of Thrones, that Joe and I were binging. I saw Meredith already snuggled in the blankets and Olivia was brushing against my legs ready to go in.

I turned to face him, tears streaming down my face and wrapped him into a hug. I buried my face in his chest, I felt him lean down and kiss my head.

"I love you so much, Joe" I whispered into his shirt.

"I love you too, I'm glad you like it" he said back to me pulling away from the hug.

"Now get in before the food gets cold," he said with a laugh, gesturing towards the fort. I crawled into the fort, wiping the tears from my cheeks. I curled up next to Joe and began to eat the food while he started the show.

A few episodes later, we had each had a few glasses of wine and were slightly tipsy. We laughed for a solid five minutes about something funny Tyrion had said.

Eventually we both fell asleep, arms and legs tangled together.

I woke up a little bit later to Olivia jumping on my back. I smiled and pulled her closer to me, hoping she would settle. I cuddled back into Joe's arms, and watched him for a few minutes. His steady breaths and occasional twitches as he dreamt about something. I memorized his gorgeous face as I gently ran my fingers through his hair. How did I get so lucky? While I've definitely done several things wrong in the last few years, I know I did one thing right. His starry eyes sparking up my darkest night.

Loving him was and will always be right I thought as I drifted back to sleep.