Chapter Four

It had been a year since Yeshua had taught in Sychar. Naftili wanted to hear more to spend more time with Him, but the teacher had not returned, so life went on as it had before. He remembered a story his father had told him about a child, a hoped-for savior born about thirty years ago. The rabbis in the temple had some doubt as to whether that babe was the long-awaited savior. And then the man from Nazareth showed up and started preaching. Naftili thought Yeshua was that baby, but Abba said, "No, it couldn't be him. The savior is a mighty warrior who will fight the Romans and save the Samaritans from the cruel tyranny of Rome. The man from Nazareth is just another preacher, not a warrior. Besides he was Jewish. Why would he save the Samaritans?"

Yeshua's voice had pulled him in. He could have listened to him speak all day. What he said made sense, but Yeshua was a Jew. He thought Abba had started to believe after Yeshua came through Sychar, but in the intervening year with no more visits, Abba forgot and no longer talked about him.

Could the rabbis and teachers be wrong? Could Abba be wrong? Naftili felt drawn to this man and to the things he said. Abba said that the Jews were wrong and to stay away from them. What was so wrong with the Jews anyway? They didn't dress that differently and their accent was different, but that didn't seem to be enough reason to avoid them. Abba said there were faith differences, but again Naftili didn't understand.

Naftili felt differently. Why did the Jews have to despise the Samaritans, and the Samaritans the Jews? They were all children of Hashem. Was he wrong to think this way?

He had heard this man, Yeshua, speak. There was more to what he said than what the rabbi said. He spoke with authority and knowledge. Like he knew Hashem and wasn't just another teacher. Naftili wanted to follow him to listen to his words. But of course, he was just a boy, and his parents would have no part of it, especially after losing Chana. If only he could figure out a way to rescue Chana and convince his parents to listen to Yeshua, then they would change their minds. He just knew they would. The question was how.

"What are you filthy Samaritans doing here? You know not to walk on the same street as a Jew."

The merchant at the fish stand where they stopped said, "I can't sell you food. Find another dirty Samaritan to buy from."

Naftili was confused. Abba had told him to stay away from Jews. They were different and believed their faith was the true one. But these people didn't seem any different from them at least they didn't look any different. It didn't make any sense. They found a Samaritan who would sell them barley loaves and fishes and began their journey back. While walking they came across a large, loud group of people listening to a man speak. Abba wanted to hurry past, but Naftili slowed to listen.

"Naftili, come. If we wish to get out of here before dark you must hurry. There could be thieves hiding that will attack when dark falls. Besides we are in Jewish territory and you know we aren't welcome. "

"But, Abba, its Yeshua. Remember he was in Sychar last year? He forgave Photini? I want to stay and listen to him. I like hearing what he says."

"No, we shouldn't stay." Abba looked at the crowd of Jews surrounding them, and a thoughtful look crossed his face. "But," Abba glanced at the hillside where Yeshua stood speaking. "That is the man who helped deliver those sheep last year. And Photini has been a changed woman; since he forgave her. She no longer stayed away from the other women and spent her time helping those less fortunate. All right, maybe for a moment."

A man that Naftili had seen following Yeshua last year when they went through Sychar approached them.

"Hello, I'm Andrew. Could you share your fish and bread with the Master? He's been speaking to the crowds all day and is very hungry?"