26 - Under Tidal Wave

*Disturbing Description Notice*

"But why does it continue to trouble you, even when the elders have assured that your mother's blood won't affect your fertility?" I questioned both Nate and his mother, my frustration evident

"Because hybrids are naturally infertile," Nate replied, trying to keep his facade cool and the rod serious.

"The lycan genes dominate, and the elders are right about that," Gabrielle interjected. She called me by my name, drawing my full attention. "But, as Nate mentioned, hybrids can't reproduce in nature, and it can be scientifically proven too. So you're faced with that fifty-fifty chance. That's the main question, Elizabeth: Are you willing to take that chance?"

The weight of her words pressed heavily on my mind, leaving me with no respite. I felt as though a massive stone had settled upon my soul. It was indeed a monumental decision to make, with the outcome determining whether I could complete the final phase of mating with Nate or face a future without children, unable to fulfill the ritual. The implications were profound.

A fleeting thought at the back of my mind hinted at the possibility of leaving Nate, and it sent a surge of agonizing pain coursing through my chest. I couldn't even consider the notion. Deep down, I knew that a separation would be an insurmountable ordeal for me.

Nate maintained an intense gaze on me, the room falling into a heavy silence. He understood the torment I was experiencing and could see the pain I was enduring. Despite that, he placed the weighty decision squarely on my shoulders, adding to the complexity of my already tumultuous life.

My gaze shifted between Gabrielle and Nate, both of them eagerly awaiting my response. I could see the fear in Gabrielle's eyes, but I was uncertain why both of them anticipated a negative outcome.

"If you assumed that this would convince me to change my mind about mating with my true and only mate, then I'm here to dispel those assumptions. I will never let go of my one opportunity to find happiness with you, my true mate, even if it means remaining childless," I declared firmly. Each word was articulated with unwavering resolve. "And I strongly suggest you both do the same," I added, turning my gaze from Gabrielle to Nate, who appeared genuinely concerned.

Nate attempted to offer a response, saying, "I just think you should take some time to-"

"I believe I've made my decision quite clear," I interrupted Nate, my tone laced with frustration. "You should have made this decision on the day we met, instead of placing it on my shoulders now. If you think I accepted you because I wanted to bear your child and assume the throne, then you're simply delusional, Nate. I accepted you because I wanted you, for you. Nothing else factored into my choice."

Through this exchange, I came to understand that men, too, had a fear of rejection. They dreaded being left behind, with nothing to show for all their efforts. Nate hadn't considered rejecting me; instead, he had been apprehensive about the possibility of me rejecting him as an unsuitable mate compared to others.