Prologue

Her fins paddled through the water, pushing her like a bullet through air. The water felt cold on her skin, and she could feel the goosebumps on it. She pushed to go faster, aching to get out of the icy cold of the river. But it had been her choice to swim in the first place, the young woman reminded herself.

     The big gray stone came into view, indicating that she was almost there. Her fins slowed down, and the water stopped its brushing against her arms and body. She pushed herself up on the bank and waited for her teal and rose scales to turn into skin, her long fins into feet. Once she was finished down to the tip of her toe, she stood up eagerly and stepped out of the river.

A thin white dress had appeared on her, like a veil, and as she walked, she felt it dragging on the ground. When she lifted it she groaned at the sight of the dress being soaked through at the bottom. She hastily attempted to wring out the water, but upon seeing the wrinkles she gave up. "Great," she sighed, and gathered the material in her hands in disappointment. Then she quickly checked that her silver headdress was dry, and continued towards the Palace.

Luckily, the river wasn't too far away. Soon enough the arches, buttresses, and ornate carvings of the golden palace were before her. The sunlight glinted off the top and sides, illuminating it and making it appear as if it were made of sun rays.

     She dipped her head to the guards. "Morning gentlemen!" They rolled their eyes and opened the gate, and the lady hummed to stay occupied as she strolled the long pathway. She paid little attention to the beautiful roses and lilies of the garden, and rushed on through the front doors. Not stopping to look at the open space set on marble floors, or the decorated doors and hallways that led out of the entrance room, she headed straight to the grand staircase. She lifted her dress to head up, and soon enough she arrived at the conference room. She opened the double doors.

A young man with hair the color of chestnuts looked up and smiled. He was dressed in a royal blue suit with gold detailing, a piece that most would spend their life savings on. But it was magnificent, of course.

She smiled back. "Morning, Leo."

     "Hey, Pisces," he said.

     She sat down on the seat next to him, and was relieved to see she wasn't the last one. Counting those around the oval table, she saw that she was the seventh to arrive; five more were on their way.

She looked back to Leo and tilted her head. "Why are you so nicely dressed today? You never dress your part." She reached out to touch the cool satin shirt underneath his suit.

Leo swatted her hand away. "It's new! No touching!" He pointed his finger. "And I got it as a gift. I just figured I would try to be more professional for these things." He shrugged.

     "Ok." She giggled. His hair was gelled back in a way that it wasn't usually, and it amused her that he put so much effort in.

     "But hey, at least I do it when I need to! You just dress like that all the time because you like being fancy," he accused.

     "I'm not being fancy, excuse me!" She feigned offense. "I just have refined taste."

     "Yeahhhh."

They were interrupted when Capricorn opened the doors and walked in, accompanied by Libra. They were in the middle of a conversation, and as usual, Libra's eyes were on the ground. The doors slammed shut behind them.

     Capricorn's red hair fell down over his jawline, and he wrinkled his nose over something Libra was saying. Other than that, he maintained his stoic presence. Similarly, Libra kept calm and focused, her long dark braids falling against her back. Both were a sight for sore eyes, but then, so was everyone else in the room. They had been blessed, quite literally.