Chapter 4 - Through the glass tanks

The wind was rolling through my hair, pushing it across my face and into my eyes and lips. I pulled a strand away, leaving my right eye watering. I growled and tried to fix it, but upon catching a glimpse of my shadow, I realized I looked like Medusa. No hope. I just let the wind carry my hair freely, there was no point. It's not like I knew anyone around anyway.

I glanced one more time around the school the best I could when I got to the door, but luckily there was no one left around to see me. At least no one that mattered to me. My time waiting in the library paid off.

Right on time I entered through, and my hair froze in its ungodly position when the door shut. Hurriedly, I tried to fix it before my eyes were met by Petunia's, the lady at the front desk. She put up a manicured finger as she was on the phone, and then smiled at me with her cheap lipstick and waved me off. I started down the hallway, my feet pounding on the carpet, and stopped at the door with a red placard that read "Dr. Singh".

When I walked in, he was focused on something at his computer. He looked up and saw me. "Ah, Basil, welcome!"

I gave him a smile and moved to the white leather couch in the middle of the room.

"So, how are your friends, Thyme and... who... Paprika?" He called.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah my name's Basil... funny." I laid myself down on the sofa. The room smelled of fish food, and I glanced at the tank. A little goldfish swam forth to the glass, as if he wanted out. I sighed.

Dr. Singh got up from his desk and walked over. "I'm sure you get that a lot, you know I'm just joking." He sat down on the couch in front of me and examined his clipboard. And then he chuckled. "Basil, you know you don't have to lay down like that."

"I'm just getting the full experience." I shrugged. "I take this seriously."

"Ok, well good. Let's begin then." He shuffled through some papers. "You've been on this prescription for quite a while," he said. "How's it been going?"

"I'm fine," I responded.

"Well, have you had your dreams lately?"

"Yeah."

He moved forward in his seat. "Oh?"

"Yes, the same one." The ceiling had a loose square directly above me.

He nodded slowly. "Do you... want to talk about it?"

I shot him a glance.

"Ok, we'll come back to that," he chuckled. "So how about your, uh, I know you said it doesn't happen anymore, but I just want to make sure. How about your supposed ability to control water?"

I looked back at the square. "Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore." If I told the truth he would just give me a stronger medication.

"It doesn't."

"No."

"Good! Good," he said. "What about your breathing? You haven't been holding your breath for too long again right? I heard about your swim meet, and I'm a little concerned."

"Dr. Singh, I'm taking breaths when I need to. Everything's fine."

"Alright, if you say so." He shifted forward. "But we both know these problems don't just disappear. If you want to talk, er, if any of it happens again... please talk to me."

I frowned. This wouldn't even be necessary if I hadn't messed up. If only I had realized I was different than everybody else, I wouldn't have ended up looking like a psycho. It was all because I was an idiot, putting more trust in people than they knew what to do with.