Returning to New York

'Single quotation' = thought ---- "Double quotations" = spoken

====

Newt's hand shakily raises to the door and knocks softly. He quickly lowers it to his briefcase after adjusting his collar.

"What? Queenie-. No, who is it?"

"It's no-. Don't worry about it, Tina. I'll get it."

Newt's heartbeat quickens as he hears faint footsteps come closer to the door. He hears the door creak open and is greeted by Queenie.

"Hi-a, Mr. Scamander!"

Newt smiles. "Hello, Queenie."

"Queenie, who is it?" Tina steps around the corner. "Newt."

"Hello, Tina. I- I hope you don't mind that I stopped by. I had some trouble--."

"Oh, Honey, it's okay. Of course, we don't mind."

Newt turns to Tina, who's appearance has shifted already to the professional side. Newt studied her posture and recognized it as the Tina who has arrested him in the alleyway.

'Should I have written? Merlins' beard, I should have thought this through. I just assumed that she was-- her hair is different.'

Newt notices a grin spread across Queenie's face as he blushes.

"I'm truly sorry if I am impinging on any plans that you have. I can always come back another time."

"Don't be silly! We don't mind ya' stoppin' by. Do we, Teen?"

"Of course not, Mr. Scamander."

'Mr. Scamander,' Newt repeats his last name in his mind until Queenie interjects.

"Come on in, Newt! We don't want ya' standin' in the hallway all evening."

"Thank you." Newt steps into their apartment, letting the door close behind him.

Newt notices a stray piece of hair fall in front of Tina's right eye. He watches as she tries to push it to the side, but doesn't tuck it completely behind her ear. He imagines moving it for her like he did on the docks a handful of months ago. 'I wonder if she would protest? She didn't when I moved it before. In fact, she didn't even flinch.'

"Oh! My dinner!" Queenie quickly leaves the entryway, leaving Tina and Newt standing silently.

"I- I would have written, but--."

"As my sister told you, Mr. Scamander, it's okay that you're here."

Newt nods and searches his coat pocket. "I did bring the book I promised. It's the original copy."

Tina's eyes widen and her demeanor becomes more relaxed.

"It's a fantastic book, Newt."

'Newt,' Newt feels a very small grin form on his face. 'That sounds better than Mr. Scamander.'

Tina hesitates as she steps closer to Newt trying to avoid touching his hand as she accepts the book.

"You really brought the original copy?" Tina asks in astonishment. She didn't realize that he would give it to her.

'Why would he give me his first book? Why not his parents or brother or Lena?'

She finally looks up from the gorgeous, gold and blue cover. "Everyone at work is talking about it, you know. Some people are even using it to teach others about the usefulness of the creatures."