Two

Erik Alexander Kingsley. Thinking about his name made her gasp. A man not easily forgotten, even with time or distance. And hearing his name called out brought alive those memories again. She shuddered and then composed herself. Nobody knows her past with him, whose name she won't utter or think. I can't be him, she thought. Or can it be?

Mia feigned interest. "Do you know the man, auntie?"

"I do," she replied conversely. "Mr. Kingsley's family owns a handful of real estate in the US, Caribbean, and Dubai. They also have hotels around Europe and the US. His family also owns a bank. It's what makes them rich. He is also English, born and raised in England."

Adelia snorted. "Glad to know I have an answer to the mystery of their family's wealth."

"Indeed. I didn't know this myself until I've met Erik." Leanna admitted.

"Where did you say you've met him?" Mia pressed with interest.

"Oh, it was at a business event. After his death, I've taken over as his representative. I'm only a broad member by name, as the shares are now under my name. I'm only ever invited to such occasion to represent him." She informed bitterly than waved her hand, moving her story along. "Anyways, the young man was there and one of my business associates introduced us."

"And how long ago was that?"

"Maybe a year or so," she answered. "Why do you ask, sweetie? Have you met him as well?"

Mia was quiet for a moment, regarding whether to tell her aunt or not. The memory of their first meeting seemed fresh on her mind like it was yesterday. She understood why her aunt nearly swoon while thinking about him. She had the same reaction back then. His handsome features, and those deep blue eyes, hypnotized you into overlooking the darkness within.

Irresistible, and alluring. In a short span their eyes met, she was his prey. His ravenous gaze caged her until he looked away.

Should she tell her? She thought again, nearly giving up one of her secrets this past year. Luckily for Mia, Adelia announced they were close to the cabin, pulling her out the chokehold of her memories. And a man she wished she'd never meet again.

****

The road leading towards the cabin was mostly made of gravel and dirt. But the mush sound of the wheels told her its mud now from recent rainfall. When they pulled up, Mia felt a rush of euphoria. She had the impression its roof was made of straws and held up by thin decrepit wood walls. But the one standing in front of her looked like a decent farmhouse than a small cabin.

Rather than straws, the roof was titled with red clay stones. The walls were made of woods and painted in cream white. The front porch was also painted white to match the cabin. A stone chimney was perched on the left side, where smoke was evident.

"My grandson is tidying up the place for ye before I met ye out on the docks," Adelia said as she parked the car close to the porch.

"Richard is here? I thought would have he'd gone back last year." Leanna peered at Adelia with skepticism.

"No, he's here. He decided to stay and manage the Tavern for me. But he's..." she trailed off and cough to change the conversation. "Aye, we should head inside and get ye two warmed up. Ye must have been traveling air, land, and sea for the past twelve hours."

Leanna took notice of Adelia's abrupt dismissal on the previous topic and decidedly went along. "We did. Though it's not my first time, I'm always exhausted, especially with my age. And I'm sure Mia's tired as well." She glanced at Mia with a weary smile.