The Sealed Wall

The Holidays came and went with Lucy unable to see Natsu. Waking that first morning was the start of the blonde's hardest months - witnessing house Maid's packing away her things. 'For School.' They told her. The revelation made her heart freeze like the ice on the Manor windows. Lucy's father had said Finishing School and his words rang true, already preparing to send her off as soon as possible.

Her nights were lonely. Hoping she could see Natsu, to explain what was about to happen- but finding a servant at her door or even the knob locked tight when she tried. The first nights held panic inside her heart. Would Natsu worry? Did he think she was ignoring him? For the first week, Lucy pounded on the doors each night, sobbing quietly for someone to let her out. "Please, Natsu will worry! Can't I tell him goodbye?"

Lucy's pleas went unanswered.

Winter parties came and went. As her Father hosted a gathering for bringing in the New Year, little Lucy only made one, small appearance. Dressed in golden frills and soft blues. She had been paraded about, greeting her Father's business associates, before being sent right back to bed. The coming months would be a busy time for her, he told his many guests. Finally going to a school for girls and ready to become a Lady. No one noticed the way her eyes grew empty with each passing word.

When ushered back to her room, she spared a glance to the fireplace- eyes stinging from unshed tears. There was no wood placed inside it, unable to light and the bricks in the back looked cold. Lonely. Her sobs put Lucy to sleep that night, with only the maid assisting her to keep her company, soothingly patting her back until she had settled.

As good as his word, the beginning of January was the start of Lucy's new life. Packed away into a carriage with a small amount of belongings, she was sent away. Magnolia Hall was a fine establishment. A place for young girls turning to women, all learning to be successful women of society. Most of the lessons they taught, Lucy had already learned the basics to. - but her excitement for each day was a false one.

Little Lucy didn't have another chance to see home, or Natsu, until the following spring and by then, she feared it might be too late. Coming home to visit for a short period (to Celebrate her birthday.) filled her with hope and dread that mixed together in the pit of her stomach, but she refused to look into the foyer. Not when the servants and her father were watching. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

"I trust you've been getting along well with the other girls?" Jude had asked the moment she stepped through the main doors. A smile that didn't reach her eyes pulled across Lucy's face and she hugged him right down the middle.

"They're all very nice to me." Was the answer. Not quite a lie, but not completely the truth either. Her own room for being a member of the Heartfilia Family had left many a jealous girl. Most turned their backs on her or challenged her to prove her knowledge in class.

It wasn't a trouble she would mention. She could handle it. That was the way life was, even if it chipped away at the childish ideals she had held her entire life. Where is Mama to comfort me now?

Lucy pretended to have zero focus on the fireplace. She stayed in her room to rest before dinner, visited with her Father during his time away from his office, and even managed to to hold back asking to help the cook do the dishes. (She had tried once, but was told little girl's of her station were not supposed to help the household staff. Lucy never did understand why.)