Chapter 7

Esteemed Colleagues,

As you know, it is our utmost priority to maintain transparency and open communication throughout the entire process of negotiations. We aim to find common ground that will help our institution continue to deliver the highest level of care in the city while simultaneously remaining the best place to work. To achieve this, it is necessary that The Nursing Union and its members maintain achievable expectations during negotiations. This is completely necessary for the continued success of both our adult and pediatric programs.

In an effort to deliver the transparency in which you deserve, I feel compelled to relay some facts about the current state of negotiations and dispel some possible misinformation that has been communicated to you by your union.

Here is a list of some detailed economic proposals brought to the negotiation table within the past few sessions:

The Nursing Union has requested a staggering 6% pay increase across the board. This request is outlandish and brings forth the question—is your union bargaining in good faith? The hospital is countering with a realistic and competitive 0.5% annual pay increase for new and seasoned nurses alike. This aligns with the projected growth of our institution and works to harbor continued upward development.

The Nursing Union has requested that the percentage of contributions towards your healthcare benefits increase, as they state that the current benefits package is too costly for those with families—a ridiculous claim. The benefits provided by this institution are inclusive of some of the best coverage available, and the rates are extremely competitive. For example, the biweekly fee for spousal coverage is $180. This, in all actuality, is subsidized by the hospital. In fact, in order to shoulder the burden of the rising cost of healthcare, the hospital proposes that your contributions towards your benefits increase from 21% to 27%. This is still some of the best coverage in the state.

The Nursing Union is requesting that the hospital set and maintain certain nurse-to-patient ratios. Unfortunately, there is no state law mandating that this occurs. Since this is regulated on a state level, the hospital is not inclined to head in this direction and will continue to staff the units on a case-by-case basis.

The hospital is proposing to eliminate pay differentials for those working off shifts. This is an outdated concept, its inception born during a nursing shortage. No such shortage exists today, and eliminating this outdated pay will help reappropriate funds to patient research—which is what really matters.

The Nursing Union is requesting that the hospital order more supplies for use by the nurses. While an admirable request, the hospital administrators recently performed an audit of our main supplies—IV pumps and other essentials—and determined that our supply far exceeds our current demand. Until documentation shows otherwise, the hospital will continue to provide its ample and reliable resources to our nurses so they can continue to provide the best care to our patients.

Uncompromising, The Nursing Union leaders have remained persistent in their pursuit of their unrealistic demands. They have gone as far as to indicate that they are willing to release a strike vote among its nurses if their demands are not met. This brings me great sadness—that they would shamelessly compromise patient care to satisfy their own agenda. I am equally saddened that the best nurses in the city are forced to be led by a group of petulant union leaders. I use the term "leader" here quite loosely, as I cannot fathom a respectable individual or group of individuals who might recommend that nurses abandon their vulnerable patients for their own self-interests.

As negotiations continue, I hope to achieve purposeful compromise so we can come to a fair and safe agreement for all. I am confident that our highly skilled and intelligent nurses can make their own logical conclusions and do the right thing—stand up to the Union. Let your voices be heard and let them know that you would never compromise patient safety for the sake of going on strike.