Chapter 10: Never Trust The Innocent Ones

Vera Reinhart,

Make sure you take your medication regularly and daily. I trust you to take it responsibly. These are very dangerous and serious drugs. Please do not share information on your medication with anyone else to make sure that they don't misuse them.

Thank you.

See you soon!
Dr. Carol Jasper

I ran and didn't look back

Everything that Jordan told me made no sense. It was all crazy. He was crazy. Not me.

So many things had happened, so many things that I hated, that I wanted to forget. This couldn't be added to the list too. Wasn't my life messed up enough?

Jason's death was the worst thing that had ever happened. The fact that I killed him doubled it. But then Secret Keeper reached out and I had realized that there could be something worse. And then Jordan told me that he killed Jason and I thought that maybe things were better than they seemed. That I didn't kill Jason so things would return back to normal. But then, after what Jordan had just told me, I was thrown back into the well of darkness with no end in sight. I couldn't see the daylight at the top. There was no way back up.

That's why its impossible. Life couldn't be that cruel, right?

And besides, that meant that my parents had lied to me. They went through my entire life lying to me in the eye and telling me nothing of a complete other world that existed inside me. They never told me of the other side of me that controlled me as much as I did. That was heartbreaking. My parents were the one stable thing I could rely on, the only two people in the world that I could truly trust no matter what. They were never-changing, always the beautiful, happy, couple that loved me honestly and unconditionally. They weren't supposed to lie to me. And now I was told that it was what they had been doing all these years.

It didn't make sense.

Huffing, I ran up my long driveway and to the front door of my house. Golden lights shone through the windows, tinting the green grass. The sun was starting to dip over the horizon as I entered the doorway.

I leaned back against the closed door and took a deep breath.

It was all a lie. Jordan was just messing with me. There's nothing wrong with you.

Your parents never lied to you.

It wasn't until my mother's voice rung through the house that I realized it was completely silent.

"Yes, okay," she said into the phone. "We'll talk to her."

The phone beeped as she hung up and dropped it onto the counter. Uneasiness filled me as I slowly made my way down the hall. I turned the corner to find my parents standing in the kitchen in silence, expressions grim. My dad looked up and his eyes locked onto mine. The eyes that were almost identical to mine were unreadable.