part 5

JAMES
She giggled on the line as we said our goodbyes. I ended the call, and looked around the table at businessmen who were all staring at me like I was crazy.

"What?"

The men all shuffled in their seats nervously.

"That was Casey?" John was brave enough to ask me, but not brave enough to look at me.

"Yes, Reed, that was obviously Casey. Let's get back to business."

"My wife, Casey?"

I knew where he was going with this. I had no problem discussing this with him, but not during a business meeting.

"John, we can talk about this--but not on company time. Let's get back to talking strategy." I stood up, ready to address the room but John stood up with me.

"You answered her call on company time, so I think we should talk this now!"

I waited for him to say more. I wasn't ready to have my business hung out during a team meeting, but he was right. I answered the call with him in earshot. I had to expect that he would speak up. They were still married--for now.

"Then talk, John. I answered the phone for your wife, who is soon going to be your ex wife. You couldn't be there for her--I am now. She doesn't live with you. She doesn't sleep with you. You're tied together by a piece of fucking paper. What is it you want to talk about?" I rounded the table and made my way toward him. "Your cheating? How much I love her, and will do anything to make sure she is happy, and safe?" He stood tall, but I could see the fear in his face. "I answered the phone for the woman I love because she deserves to feel like she is a priority."

There was more nervous shuffling from around the room, but I wasn't moving until John sat down. He worked for me, and would show some fucking respect while in my building.

"You think your so fucking perfect."
He looked me up and down like I disgusted him. I didn't give a fuck what he thought about me. He should have been glad I wanted to keep my work life separate or I would have punched him, and had security drag him away.

"Okay!" I clapped my hands together as he sat down. "Lets get back to business!"

Another ring interrupted the meeting. "Mr. Case? Kimberly Stewart is here to see you."

Kimberly. I fell in love with her at a charity event she was attending with her father. She was brave enough to ask me to dance, and her beautiful green eyes swept me away. She was perfect--at first. Now, just her name makes me want to punch something. She cheated on me, but I stayed with her. She told me she hated me, then asked me for my credit card. She begged me for a job just to fuck my employees. I didn't think I could trust another girl after that. Every seemingly-perfect girl was just going to turn into a spoiled brat after a month. Not Casey. She had all the beauty of Kimberly, but was imperfect perfection.

"Give me 20 minutes then send her in, Sasha, but keep security on stand by."

"Of course, sir."

Kimberly pranced in like she owned my office. She was wearing sky-high heels, an electric blue mini skirt, and a light blue crop top. She definitely wasn't here for business.

"Hello baby doll! How is the boss doing today?"

"Kim, I'm working. If you aren't here about business, then you need to leave."

She pouted and made her way around the desk. She stood behind me, and leaned against the large wall of windows that overlooked Manhattan.

"I think its time you tell Casey." Her words were simple, and undramatic, though the situation was not.