Prologue

Strange is the name of my Hometown - La Lune. I once heard my grandmother say that the name came from a pearl grey Moon that always shone over our Hometown. It was full every night and the people admired and adored it. Rituals were held every year to thank the Moon and sacrifices were made ocasionally.

  But sacrifices had to be born. Once every 100 years a moon eclipse would happen and the children born during that night would die at the age of 20. The children would born in an open sanctuary, so that the first thing they would see when they open their eyes is the new moon reborn from the eclipse. The virgin sacrifices would bring prosperity and safety to La Lune, therefore they themselves would be proud to be considered a sacrifice to the Moon prince.
  The last eclipse was 15 years ago and only one child was born. However, as the moon was about to completely release itself from the eclipse, the newborn baby opened its eyes. They were pure white. The fair eyes shone to the moon and a crystal laugh was heard from the baby's lips. That night the Moon shone brighter than ever, but as soon as the small baby laughed the moon blacked out into a never-ending eclipse.
  My grandmum told me that other sacrifices were praised and a sign of good fortune. However, that one baby was accused of killing the Moon prince. Its mother was killed, guilty of giving birth to an abomination and the people of La Lune forced the baby to live and grow until its sacrifice in the hope it will bring the moon back.
  Today is my 15th birthday and I have never seen the moon shine. As i grow in the house where i used to live with my recently deceased grandmother, I live with consciousness that the whole village is waiting in constraint to kill me. I too, am patiently waiting to be killed.