t e n

*****************AUTHOR'S NOTE*****************

Here's a link to a playlist that accompanies this entire story, updated DAILY.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/40fNHonHOnIPYwby75jhmH

***************************************************

~~~EIGHT A.M.~~~

Biology was a bitch to Lydia. Even with all of the notes that Jacob had given her, notes that he had been compiling for twenty years, none of the science made sense to her. It was overwhelming to not have someone as smart as Jacob there to help her with all of these concepts. Perhaps there was no hope for Lydia in all of this.

Her teacher displayed a picture of an ear on the white board and started writing the names of the structures of the ear.

"Flip to page 225 and follow along while I explain these concepts."

She flipped to the page he had displayed on the white board and tried to follow along as best she could. She annotated her textbook the best she could, but by the end of the class it was nothing but a mess. The bell rang and she packed up quickly, pulling her phone from her pocket to check and see if she had any messages. Her heart sank. Nothing. She shoved her phone back in her pocket and shuffled to her next class. Maybe someone would text her. She was feeling rather lonely.

~~~NINE A.M.~~~

"Clase, translate this sentence for me: 'Yo necesito un teléfono.'" the teacher told them, writing the phrase on the white board. Lydia looked around while people started writing. She looked back at her paper and wrote: "I need a phone" on her paper in messy writing. After a moment, the teacher turned back to the board and wrote out the translated phrase. Lydia sighed with relief. She shouldn't have had to worry about that, but lately she's been questioning her own intelligence. She had been scoring low on assignments across all of her classes and she didn't understand why. Besides biology, she was smarter than this. Maybe she had been too distracted by the extracurriculars of her life. She always had too much time on her hands before that point.

Her teacher passed out worksheets for them to work on the rest of the class period. Lydia decided to push the negative thoughts to the back of her mind and started quickly answering all of the questions. After she finished her worksheet, she turned it in to the assignment tray then sat back down. She pulled her history textbook from her backpack and started reading through the chapter they were going to be going over in the next class, trying to get a feel for how difficult the period would be for her. She started taking notes and writing summaries for the chapter. She was going to start getting back to being herself.

~~~ELEVEN A.M.~~~

Lydia sat down in her creative writing class and pulled her laptop out. She opened up her Google Docs app and opened a blank document, ready to take notes and write whatever she felt compelled to write. Her creative writing class was on the poetry unit and they were just starting to learn about different poets. They were learning about Sylvia Plath and her life and writing style. Lydia started to type away as her teacher pulled up the PowerPoint presentation.

"Sylvia Plath was born on October 27, 1932, in Boston, Massachusetts," her teacher started. "She's most notably known for her works The Bell Jar, released in 1963, and Ariel, released in 1965, after her death. She wrote confessional poetry, the stye of which she wrote The Bell Jar, which was based on her life, and deals with one young woman's mental breakdown."

Lydia quickly copied down what her teacher was saying before pausing to look at the poem " the teacher put up there:

"I have done it again.