twenty six

After their brief fight, Richie spotted Klais' ship below them, sitting in the water. He grabbed Eddie's hand and ran down toward the dock, staying in the shadows for protection.

"Rich, wait here," Eddie whispered, knowing whatever was going to happen to him was going to happen soon. "I'll go look closer."

"You're not going alone," Richie snapped, eyes narrow. "You're outnumbered."

"Two of us will give away our position."

"If you get hurt-"

Eddie cut him off by kissing him firmly, and for the first time, Richie could feel his tears mixed into it. It was strange- almost as if Eddie knew something he didn't.

"Eds?"

"I'll be okay, love. Just stay hidden. Our only goal is to get the vanish liquid shit and then we can be safe."

Richie knew there was no point in fighting- when Eddie made his choice, he made his choice and arguing would lead to something worse.

"Okay," he whispered in defeat. "If you see anyone, run."

"Stay here." That was all Eddie said before disappearing into the dark.

Richie didn't listen. He waited until Eddie was out of sight before following the path he took toward the ship. He tiptoed onto the ship and smiled as he caught sight of Eddie crouched below a table, out of sight.

Richie followed in complete silence as Eddie moved toward the captains quarters. It seemed as though Klais was out for the night.

Both gasped (Richie silently and Eddie audibly) as they saw the vial of clear liquid, still sealed on the table.

Eddie walked toward the table, and as he was about to grasp it, a laugh echoed from behind them.

"Figure you two would show up," Henry said, leaning against the door's frame. "Klais has been wondering where you'd turn up. I told him here, but he thought you'd have an army."

"Richie?!" Eddie asked in a hushed voice, shocked that Richie had managed to follow him without him noticing.

"I wasn't going to let you go alone!" Richie responded, glaring at Henry and attempting to place himself in front of Eddie.

Henry just laughed. "Should've been smarter, Richie. It was you I saw coming in here. If you hadn't, I probably would've have caught either of you, so I should be thanking you."

Eddie grabbed the vial and slid it into his pocket, walking up to Richie cautiously. "Do it then," he snarled, ready to defend Richie at all costs.

"Shut up, Eddie," Richie said, trying to get Eddie to stand behind him.

Eddie rolled his eyes. "His master hasn't told him to kill us. He's not going to touch us. Once a follower, always a follower."

Henry glared at the pair and raised his spear, forcing the two to leave the ship. There were lanterns and fires all over, illuminating a fire pit where Klais sat, looking out into the trees.

"Look who I found," Henry called.

Klais turned and a dark smile made its way over his face. "It appears you were right. Are you two stupid? Why would you even try to sneak on our ship?"

Richie felt guilt churn in his gut. He should've listened. He didn't blame himself for wanting to protect Eddie, but he did blame himself for getting them caught.

"Shit, you got us," Eddie said, raising his hands in mock surrender and rolling his eyes. "What ever will we do? I guess we'll just have to wait for our army to save us."