5

nervous
will

i forgot how i acted that night when we went clubbing. truly, it's such a blur. all i recall is dancing and flashing lights and the feeling of someone's hand in mind and my heart pounding for some odd reason. i wake up with a splitting headache. jesus, how much alcohol did i have? i groan and grip the sides of my head and shove my face under my blanket to avoid the light.
"will? you up?" i hear tom ask across the room. i grunt in response. he laughs softly. "you had a lot."
"no shit. why didn't you make me stop? i have class today" i argue.
"i didn't want you to" tom says with a little smirk on his face. i'm a little confused at his comment but i let it go although it makes my heart jump a little.
"tom... did something happen?"
"you don't remember?" tom replies, his cheeks flushing a little as he runs a hand through his curly hair. i shake my head. god, will, what the hell did you do? i stand up and stretch, not caring that my shirtless frame was obviously facing tom. he looks me up and down with his mouth slightly agape and i smile, reveling in the rush of confidence i get when he looks at me like that. i put a shirt on, ignoring my throbbing headache.
"no, love. i don't remember" i say putting emphasis on the word that i know he'll absolutely crumble at. i hear a little squeak come out of tom from across the room. my back is turned to him but i'm sure his cheeks are burning red. a moment of silence when i turn to him.
"y-you're lying" he stutters. "you do remember... otherwise you wouldn't have called me t-that." i move closer to him.
"i said i don't remember, tom. i have to go." i leave my side of the room and tom in utter disarray. he stands shocked. i don't know what inclined me to say those things to him. i'm walking to class and suddenly i stop and recall everything. we held hands. i said something to him. what did i say? something.... i told him i liked him? why the hell would i say something like that? i remember his warm hand and giddy smile and the way he looked at me when we were dancing... together? we danced together. oh no. what is happening? shit. shit. shit. i cannot fall for my roommate. isn't that like... rule number 1 of college? what the hell do i do? these thoughts haunt me for the rest of the day. when i come back to the dorm room, tom isn't there but my side of the room is organized and clean. tom. i see a pink post-it note on my bed. tom must've left it for me. i pick it up.

you're welcome. back at 8
tom x

i hold it in my hand, studying his handwriting and the little x he put next to his name. he... likes me back? i fall back on my bed, nearly hitting my head on the wall. i sigh. i look at the clock, the time reading 6 pm. i want him back so we can talk. i have time to kill and he already cleaned for me. i sit up, spotting tom's iPod on his nightstand. i pick it up and plug my headphones into it. i go through them until a familiar riff fills my head.

Mr. Brightside
The Killers

i sit on tom's bed listening to "mr. brightside." i think of tom listening to this song and i understand now. i listen to that song until it makes me cry and each word is engrained into my mind. once i've gotten tired of it, i move on to other songs.

Hips Don't Lie (feat. Wyclef Jean)
Shakira

my mind races back to the club. i find myself on my feet and i start dancing to hips don't lie. i get lost in the song and my feet slide across the floor in easy strides. i get so lost that i don't realize tom standing at the doorway. he puts his backpack down and grabs my hand while i do an awkward spin move. he grips it and pulls me toward him and in one fast movement i'm face to face with him. dizzy and breathless i stare into his eyes which are almost as blue as mine. i think about kissing him for a moment but i can't find the courage to. he takes his hand and traces down my cheekbone to my jawline and then to my collarbone. my heart pounds and i feel blood rush to places it hasn't in a long time. i really badly want to kiss him now. the urge is so overwhelming my knees start to buckle. i hold onto his shoulders for balance and he holds the sides of my waist. my headphones are still on, Shakira's voice echoing in my head. he takes them off for me and lets go of my waist. i sigh, not realizing i've been holding in my breath all this time.
"i-"
"shhh. don't say anything, will" tom says unpacking his stuff. he did that to me with such ease. like he's been planning it for years.
"tom..."
"yeah?"
"h-how are you?" i ask unsure how to start a conversation after a moment so visceral.
"i'm alright" he says with a little smirk. "didn't take you for a Shakira fan."
"i'm not... i was just uh going through your iPod and i found that song and i remembered our night at the club and i... it's a good song" i say running my hand through my hair. he smiles and looks back at me. i sit at my desk and start to do my homework. every 5 minutes or so i look over at tom who's concentrated on his writing. he smiles sometimes and chuckles at some things he reads and it makes me happy.
"will?" i snap out of my trance.
"yes?"
"could you proofread this? you seem to have a good eye" he says. i shoot up out of my desk as fast as i can.
"wow, that's amazing! you wrote that just now?" i ask, astonished at his brilliant writing. he nods proudly. "you're brilliant!"