Chapter 2

The night had calmed down some since 096 came wandering in. They now sat in the living room, 049 pouring everyone a cup of tea before sitting down on the couch beside 035.

"So, what brings you here Lanky?" 035 questioned, throwing his legs over 049's lap which earned him an amused glance from the Doctor.

096 shook his head a bit, readjusting his grip on the teacup.

049 raised his glass to take a sip. "How have the glasses been treating you?" A small smile and a nod assured him they were working well.

They sat there for a moment, at peace in the quiet. The wind blowing outside and snow continuing to fall.

"I don't think we'll be going into town any time soon," 035 looked out the window. "Not if this weather keeps up at least."

"Probably not," 049 muttered, shaking his head. He looked over to Jay who had curled up with a heavy blanket and a cup of tea by the fire. "We'll be alright though, a storm's nothing we can't deal with," he said, to no one in particular.

Soon they had all finished their drinks, Lanky heading out after declining a second cup of tea 049 had offered.

Jay had gone upstairs to sleep, 035 and 049 now in the kitchen. 049 looking up towards the ceiling, his arms resting on the counter behind him, 035 had sat on the counter across the room.

"Whatcha thinking about Doc?" 035 said, bringing 049 out of his thoughts.

"Nothing much, I suppose I just miss being able to practice medicine. It's not the same these days, you need a license to practice and even if I had one it might just put us in greater risk of being found."

"I know you miss it and you're right, but maybe you'll be able to go back to it eventually, I mean, after long enough without any news the foundation's gotta stop looking right?"

A small smile crept across 049's face. "They might, after a few hundred years. I don't know how easy it'll be for the others to stay under the radar though."

035 laughed a bit. "You got me there, hopefully they don't cause to much trouble. Things have been going good so far."

The two shared a laugh, it was bittersweet, both knowing that being found was an all to real possibility.

"Do you think that anyone could still be around? From before containment, I mean." 049's voice grew somber, his smile not reaching his eyes.

035 mulled over the question for a moment before shrugging. "I guess someone might be around, but I can't think of anyone. I'm sure the gods are still around but I don't know who you'd have left." A frown had replaced his smile as he spoke, the question settling in his mind. "Is this about the letter?"

"Yes it is, partially at least. It was from an old friend, from before I met you."

035 couldn't think of anyone the doctor could be taking about. "Have you ever told me about them? What where they like?"

049 sighed, looking to the floor before answering. "I don't think I have, I met them when I was first noticing my ability," he held out his hand, staring at it. "They helped me, they told me they were like me because of it. That's about all I really know."

The frown remained on 035's face as he nodded, pushing himself off the counter to go stand beside 049. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, why don't we get some rest?"

049 gave a small nod. "That sounds good, it's been a rather eventful day after all."

The two went upstairs to sleep for the night, they'd fallen into the routine of it, even though they didn't need to. It passed the time, something they had plenty of.

Day came and 049 woke up at sunrise, he usually did. He tried to think back on the dream he had had but it was just out of reach, it was there but barely. He got up and went to his office, careful not to disturb 035 who was still asleep.

He headed to his office, grabbing his cloak off its hook and examined it. It needed a fresh coat of wax but he was more focused on its edges, when he had cut it he had done his best to make the cut as clean as he could but his hands had been shaking slightly. He decided he'd spend the morning repairing it.

035 woke awhile later, looking to where 049 slept only to find him missing. Just once, he wished, the doctor would sleep in and not feel the need to busy himself all day. It wasn't going to happen anytime soon but he still hoped.

A quick check had proven that Jay was still in bed and 049 was in his office as usual. 035 stood in the doorway for a moment, watching as 049 stitch up a tear in his cloak.

Once downstairs he made a cup of tea and made a list of things they'd need to get from town the next time they went. A folded note in one of the drawers caught his attention, reading it he couldn't help but chuckle. No matter how many times 049 requested it 035 wasn't getting him coffee.