Chapter 3

Sam's P.O.V.

"Paul. Where are you?" I say

"In the big field by the cliff. What....what's going on? Sam? How can I hear you and Jared in my head?" Paul says, his thoughts clearly riddled with confusion.

"Just stay there, Paul. Jared and I will be there in a second."

I look at Sam, and jerk my wolf's head to the left, meaning we need to go that way in order to get to Paul. He whimpers but obeys. A few seconds later, Jared and I are in the field where Paul said he was. I look around and see a giant wolf hanging back against the tree line. I pad over to him, slowly, so as not to scare Paul.

The last thing I want is to spook a new wolf.

"Paul. It's me. Relax." I command, using my alpha voice, which relays over into my thoughts.

I watch as he relaxes a little. He comes out into view a little more. I look at him and his wolf.

"Both of y'all, follow me. We're going back to Mel's house."

They both obey, mainly because I'm the Alpha, but also because Paul isn't used to this yet. I phase outta my wolf and Jared, following my actions, does the same. I watch as Paul's wolf cocks his head to the side, processing what he just saw. I explain to him what to do. Just think back to being human.

After several minutes, he phases back to his human form and curls up in a ball, whimpering. Phasing...it's a difficult and extremely painful process. I walk over to him.

"Don't worry. It will get easier and less painful as time goes on." I inform him.

Paul whimper slightly before sitting up. I hand him a pair of shorts Mel started putting outside in a box I made for her. He slowly puts them on and looks up at the house.

"This is Melissa Black's house. Why are we here?" Paul asks.

"She's part of the council. She knows everything. She helped me out when I first phased." I explain to him.

We walk into the house and see the lunch that Mel prepared for us for when we got home. Jared looks away before sitting down in his usual chair.

"Where is she?" Paul asks, looking around the room.

"Jared...He had an accident before you phased. Mel was caught in the crossfire and got hurt pretty badly. She will be fine but we're not sure when she will be out of the hospital."

Mel's P.O.V. ~ 2 Weeks Later

I start hearing beeping from the right side of me. I open my eyes but the bright light makes me close them again. I start to smell cleaning products. It jogs my memory of what happened. Jared phased right in front of me. I slowly open my eyes to get used to the bright lights. When my eyes refocus, I look around the room I'm in.

I'm in the hospital.

I try to turn my head but pain shoots through the right side of my face. I reach over slowly to push the nurse button. Without turning my head, I glance to my shoulder to see a bandage covering my shoulder. My eyes follow the bandage on my shoulder, slowly, to see that it goes onto my chest. I scrunch my eyes but pain shoots through my face.

What the hell happened to me?

My father and Carlisle rush into the room. Carlisle stops on my right side. My father rolls toward my left.

"Mel! You're awake!" My dad says, rolling over to the side of the bed.

"He-" I start coughing from my throat being dry.